Another "I weighed my guitars" thread

Flatspotter

• Members

Inspired by someone else's (I forget who) guitar weight thread, I weighed my guitars and had a few surprising results.

No surprise that my Dan Armstrong Plexi was the heaviest, and my PRS SE Soapbar II was the lightest. What really surprised me was that my '52 RI Tele is my second-heaviest guitar, outweighing my Les Paul, Warmoth LPS, and Carvin! And my Les Paul is only an ounce heavier than my semi-hollow Schecter Corsair! I was also surprised that my '57 RI Strat outweighs my Les Paul. Granted, my LP is weight-relieved, but I didn't think it was that light.

Dan Armstrong Plexi-----------------------9 lbs 2 oz

Fender '52 Reissue Telecaster-------------8 lbs 6 oz

Warmoth LPS-----------------------------8 lbs 4 oz

Fender '57 Reissue Stratocaster-----------8 lbs 3 oz

Carvin DC130T---------------------------8 lbs 2 oz

BC Rich Mockingbird Special X-------------7 lbs 13 oz

Gibson Les Paul Standard-----------------7 lbs 12 oz

Schecter Corsair-------------------------7 lbs 11 oz

Fender American Standard Stratocaster---7 lbs 10 oz

Ibanez Radius 540RJR---------------------7 lbs 9 oz

PRS SAS Narrowfield----------------------7 lbs 2 oz

Gretsch Electromatic G5120---------------6 lbs 13 oz

Danelectro-------------------------------6 lbs 10 oz

PRS SE Soapbar II------------------------6 lbs 3 oz

• Members

My Fender 62 Strat RI is 7.5 lbs on my bathroom scale and my Gibson 60s Tribute Studio is 7 lbs exactly. I am looking to add a bigsby just to help weigh the body down a little bit. The strat feels like it weighs a ton compared to the LP. I was surprised at how big a difference .5 lbs is on a guitar. HUGE!

• Members

I went and searched my old threads and I started one of these back on 12/5/09 :Dhttp://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2506187-I-finally-bought-myself-a-mail-scale!-Do-you-want-me-to-weigh-something-for-you&highlight=

But here's some of my weights from that thread.

I'd often heard that Black Beauties were 12 pounds, but mine did come in at over 1 pound less than that.

I also thought the 1 pound 8 ounce difference between the USA PRS CE 22 and the import SE C-24 was interesting. The carved maple top on the USA model obvious accounting for the bulk of that difference.

But here's one more that I wanted to do before I ran out of time.

What does an Epiphone Semi-hollow Riviera with Bigsby weigh
(the P-93) ?

8 pounds 3 ounces

Even though it's big, it's not much compared to quite a few of the others, including the ash strat.

• Members

Curtis Novak was selling 2lbs jazzmaster bodies a few years ago...but that will probably make a 5lbs guitar. So ,no probably not.

The lightest guitar Ive had was an SG,, about 6lbs...heaviest a Jaguar 8lbs 10oz. Never owned a les paul.

Anyone have anything lighter than my Parker Fly? 4.6 lb?

• Members

Ha you have an SG heavier than an LP?

Well, now that you mention it . . .

But the only LP I have on my list that's lighter is the LP VM which is damned near a hollow body. :D

The RI VOS LP Std weighed in a 9 pounds 3 oz,

But the SG Classic (which I guess is the one you referred to) at 7 pounds 12 might indeed be a bit heavy for an SG (but about the same as the EJ Strat). Taking a quick look at the ebony SGs over at Sweetwater (where they posts the weights) my Classic is about a pound heavier than their average. http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/electric/custom/s122711448

That's probably why I gravitated more toward my newer SG '60s Tribute model, which although I haven't weighed yet, is no doubt lighter.

But honestly, I haven't decided yet for sure which side of the fence I'd want to say I'm on in regards to body weights. They both have their own tonal advantages. If I want a deeper tone, then that's not coming from balsa weight guitars.

• Members

^^thats what I had an SG classic (I think) it was a mid 1990s USA SG, didnt say SG anywhere on it.one of the best Teles ive ever played was a 10lbs 52hotrod....That said picking up my 7lbs CIj Micawbre is dreamy. My 52RI, Squier CVC, and MIM 60s are all 8lbs. I wouldnt want heavier than that.

But im small, I mean I weigh 140lbs, twice as much as my twin reverb, lol.

makes ya wonder about these 250lbs dudes slinging little baby 6lbs guitars.

• Members
But the SG Classic (which I guess is the one you referred to) at 7 pounds 12 might indeed be a bit heavy for an SG (but about the same as the EJ Strat). Taking a quick look at the ebony SGs over at Sweetwater (where they posts the weights) my Classic is about a pound heavier than their average.
http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/electric/custom/s122711448

That's probably why I gravitated more toward my newer SG '60s Tribute model, which although I haven't weighed yet, is no doubt lighter.

But honestly, I haven't decided yet for sure which side of the fence I'd want to say I'm on in regards to body weights. They both have their own tonal advantages. If I want a deeper tone, then that's not coming from balsa weight guitars.

Heavy SG sounds like a good idea, though, as long as most of the weight is in the body and not the neck. Unfortunately, it's probably the opposite. :(

• Members

Heavy SG sounds like a good idea, though, as long as most of the weight is in the body and not the neck. Unfortunately, it's probably the opposite.
:(

No, I find my Gibson SGs to be real well balanced. Epi SGs tend to be a hair more neck heavy.

But I personally (as a home hobbyist doing most of my playing sitting) can be more annoyed by butt-end heavy guitars since they seem to want to roll off my right thigh to the right. If I have a little bit of balance into my fretting hand I find them easier to control without a strap. I really was noticing this with my LP DC I was playing the other day. I was thinking it'd be cool to just take a vinyl strap and attach it to the back of my chair so I could be sure there was one always there and ready, kinda like shoulder straps in a race car but for my favorite waste time, i.e. web-surfin/gitfiddle noodlin. ;)

Archived