Neck/Truss Rod Question: When do you lose hope?

notjonahbutnoah

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

At some point ( after determining that is not a biflex trussrod or if it is, laying on a turn or two ) you may have to lay it face down across two chairs and have a friend push down on some strategic points whilst you twist the nut, if it doesn't shape up.

• Members

You have to loosen the strings, tighten the truss rod until you can't any more. It takes minutes, not hours or days. After it's tight...then wait awhile...and see if the neck is straight. If it isn't at least close to straight the truss rod is not working. As far as the nut and or bridge heights or anything else...that has to be dealt with after you know the neck can at least be straightened out.

• Members

Well... no.

One would think the truss is completely loose in that pic, wouldn't one. But one would be wrong because that truss rod is ridiculously tight, and I'd been tightening it a quarter/half/full turn every couple days off and on for months. That pic shows the truss rod tighter than any truss rod ought to be.

I promise you, I'm not retarded. Every other neck I've encountered with a bit of relief like that was a quick fix with a simple adjustment... but not this one. Hence the "at what point do you lose hope" thread title.

If anything, this has made me understand why some people hate Fenders. Even maladjusted, that neck shouldn't be that fubar after less than a decade. I mean I'll always love Fenders, new, old, whatever, but this is a bummer.

Again, I think it's more complex than that....

jim-breuer.jpg

It appears that ridiculously tight is not enough. It's a bass. it takes a bit more effort to make it work.

I Am not trying to suggest that you're retarded. I Am just saying that you're being a {censored} about it. {censored} the quarter turn {censored} footing and put some effort into it. If you think it's {censored}ed up beyond repair then what harm can come from applying more force? Kill it or cure it. Don't be it's bitch.

• Members

After a couple days of it being loose, it's more curved than in the pics. Great.

It appears that ridiculously tight is not enough. It's a bass. it takes a bit more effort to make it work.

I Am not trying to suggest that you're retarded. I Am just saying that you're being a {censored} about it. {censored} the quarter turn {censored} footing and put some effort into it. If you think it's {censored}ed up beyond repair then what harm can come from applying more force? Kill it or cure it. Don't be it's bitch.

I think this is really bad advice. Take the bass to a luthier or technician you trust.

Archived