Rickenbacker 650D Dakota owners, lend me your opinions

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Members

1 3/4" is it? What the usual Ric nut width then? And whats the general nack back profile?

Too thin and too thin. I've always had a love/hate relationship with Rics. The standard Ric width is about 1.6" at the nut, and the profile is a very shallow C. When you combine this with a somewhat flat 10" radius, you get what is -- to me -- a very cramped-feeling neck. A friend of mine has two (a 360-6 and a 360-12) and while they are so beautiful they make me cry, trying to play them makes me cry even more...

• Members

I have no problems with tuning stability on my 650D. It plays great. The neck is more of a chunky D shape. This may be different from other Rics. As for keeping it clean, it's no different than keeping any other satin finished maple neck clean. The 650D is a fantastic guitar.

• Members

Rick 650Ds are great guitars. They have a few other models in the 650 series that are all similar--the 650C ("Colorado") is finished rather than natural wood like the Dakota, and I believe they used to make a 650A and 650F, although I can't remember now what those looked like. I haven't looked for any in a while but I remember they would appear pretty regularly in classifieds. I got mine (a used 650D) for $600 back in '04 off of Craigslist. I don't know how much they are new now, but I'm sure you could find a used one for under a grand if you look long enough. I don't think the company makes very many of them.

They are completely unlike other Ricks. The neck is indeed 1.75" wide at the nut, and the back profile is substantial, perhaps not quite in Les Paul territory, but I love wide and fat necks and this has worked well for me. Maple and walnut, fixed bridge, short/Gibson scale, neck through and two mini-humbuckers. Very solid guitar. Not heavy. The pickups are made by Rickenbacker and have a pretty unique sound. You can replace them with Rick single coils if you want. I don't think anything else would fit in the slot, and Ricks are always a total-package kind of guitar so I don't think it is common to put in any after-market stuff. I have never had any tuning issues.

I gigged with it as my #1 for a couple of years, and I used it for an EP I recorded with my band about 5 years ago. Sound samples can be heard at www.hernextfriend.com/music.html (go down to the "New #2 (selected tracks)" part in the middle of the page). All of the electric guitar parts on those recordings are the Rick, run through a variety of amps and pedals.

While it is true that Ricks generally have narrow and thin necks, they have produced models over the years that are wide and fat. I played a friend's Rick 450 that dates from the '50s or early '60s, and that has similar neck dimensions to the modern 650s. I believe the Rick 660 also has a 1.75" nut width, but I'm not sure about that.

I can recommend it without hesitation, especially if you can get a good deal on the used market. If you like to have multiple guitars (like all of us here), it would definitely be a great addition for alternate tones that aren't Gibson-y or Fender-ish.

• Members

I have no problems with tuning stability on my 650D. It plays great. The neck is more of a chunky D shape. This may be different from other Rics. As for keeping it clean, it's no different than keeping any other satin finished maple neck clean. The 650D is a fantastic guitar.

Is there any guitar you don't/haven't owned? :lol:

• Members

Buy it, buy it, buy it.

They look great, sound great and play great. Anyone who claims they have tuning "issues" should try using strings that cost more than 5 sets for a dollar. You can't compare 650 necks with 360s any more than you could compare LPs with ES-330s. I love "experts" who played a totally different guitar than the one being asked about and think they know everything about the brand. You couldn't find two guitars less alike than the 330/340/360 series and the 650 series.

This is from personal experience.

Picture040.jpg

• Members

Not a big Ric fan but yeah... the recent 650 series are very nice guitars. I like the wider necks - not sure if that's true of all 650s, but at least the few that I've handled.

I'll get one eventually, probably a Dakota as that suits my visual tastes the most... really hated missing out when they were being closed out a few years back.

By the way, Ric 391, what is the red guitar ont eh far right in your pic? It' looks like Ric's take on the Fender HM strats or something. :lol:

• Members

Not a big Ric fan but yeah... the recent 650 series are very nice guitars. I like the wider necks - not sure if that's true of all 650s, but at least the few that I've handled.

I'll get one eventually, probably a Dakota as that suits my visual tastes the most... really hated missing out when they were being closed out a few years back.

By the way, Ric 391, what is the red guitar ont eh far right in your pic? It' looks like Ric's take on the Fender HM strats or something.
:lol:

Ric 250. Probably the best known players are Joe Walsh and Don Hendley. The series was 230, 250, 260. They date back to the 80's when John Hall was trying new designs to "update" RICs image. Didn't work.

Archived