Phantom power or adapter to replace batteries

lespaul1964

• Members

My friend (and son's guitar teacher), Jason Robling, makes a phantom power solution that's available as either a direct amp modification or as a break-out box that sits between the amp and your guitar. It'll power your pedals and/or a guitar with active pup's. Here's a video where he explains it:

[video=youtube;FgsyNrjzsK8]

Here's a pic of the break-out box (if you'd rather not have your amp modified):

ScreenShot2011-12-17at51427PM.png

• Members

I wrote to them. Could not find out the cost, or how exactly it would work for my purpose. Thanks for the response.

I'll find out the cost for you. As to how it would work for you, your guitar cable (you'd have to use the supplied TRS cable that comes with the external kit) would deliver power to your active pup system directly from your amp.

• Members

Thanks. I dont use an amp. I use a gsp 1101 processor straight to the snake to the house board. I mix our monitors onstage (and rehearsal) and I am always close to that mixer in my rack. That has phantom power and I can use that, though not sure how. But the specs on the similar sustaniac say that there should be two inputs on the guitar for the power to work without hum or distortion, some even suggest an xlr cable. Unless it is technology unknown to most, i am not sure how it will work. I certainly hope is as easy as you say.

• Members

You'd need a stereo cable and either a stereo jack or XLR socket on the guitar. You then need a power injector to put power onto the cable and change the circuit of the sustainer to tap the power from the input and regulate it to the necessary 9v or whatever it is.

• Members

I looked at the Fuchs solution but you have to modify all your pedals for it to work. It's about $50 a pedal for the mod, which is fine but I use some pedals that are kind of collectable (although I didn't know that when I bought them - Slow Gear, Klon, etc...) so I don't want to mess with them.

I use the Sanyo which works like a power supply but it's rechargable.

Fuchs makes great stuff (have some pedals and some amps) but the mods to make this work for me would not work.

Here is what I use. My tuner isn't in pic but you get the idea. Notice pedals are on but no AC line:

DSCN0007-19.jpg

Archived