My Semi-Psychedelic Cover of "We Gotta Get Out of this Place" now posted!

Anderton

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton

View Post

Probably not, but all the videos I've done are more lyric videos than anything else...except for "We Gotta Get Out of This Place," because everyone knows the words anyway smile.gif

Basically, it's just eye candy. I used the metering from Ozone 5 for "Little Pieces" because it looked cool. I wouldn't be adverse to just doing background textures with no meaning whatsoever. Maybe I'll do that for my next video.

The videos are optional...you can just listen if you want smile.gif

But that's not the way the music is done, so there's no way to do a video of it. And if people think "what the?", controversy is a good thing. I'd rather have people say "It sure is weird a guy would do a video capturing his DAW playing the music in the video" than "there's some guy singing."

Anyway, music with videos get more clicks than music without videos. Some people really like the videos, some people couldn't care less, and one person said "There are videos? I just have the music on in the background while I'm doing other things on the computer."

Or, you can think of them as demos for Sony Vegas Pro that have a soundtrack icon_lol.gif

Just today i saw a neat little thing at an electronics store and thought that would be good to add it to a music video. It was only a computer sized speaker shooting up light colored water in time with the music.

So sliders and pots are very usable to me as a visual item !

Dan

• Members

View Post

BTW in the next song I'll be posting, which is epic (thanks Mark!!), there's an interesting trick with the background voices. I did two premixes of the song, and transposed one down -1 semitone and the other -2 semitones. I then sang the background part along with each one, and transposed them up +1 and +2 semitones respectively on playback to return to the song's original pitch. It's wild, brings back the days of tape and varispeed smile.gif

Besides, that way I could hit the high notes!

Sounds intriguing...

• Members

View Post

But then I started thinking about what I said, and thought it might be fun to take EVERY single piece of feedback everyone has on the song, and do "the SSS remix." I'd start with putting the vocals more upfront and dryer, and putting some bite on the bass. If those are the only changes people have, I probably won't do a remix but if someone says "Why don't you extend that middle section into a true dance remix?" or there are a bunch of other suggestions, it might be fun to do an "on-demand" remix smile.gif

The mix is well-balanced and big and full, in my opinion. The general vibe sounds very big-ass "rawk" and, in my opinion, often runs counter to the psychedelic vibe that busts out in the middle. I do realize that you said "semi-psychedelic", of course, so perhaps I'm wishing that it were full-on psychedelic.

I'm guessing that a lot of the stuff is triggered or sent through amp emulations, and if that's true, it'd be interesting to hear more of a tweed Fender with a slightly cleaner sort of sound (less distortion, more "clirty") or maybe a wah type of thing or something that, or some wah countermelodies on the guitar or backwards guitars or something just to really push it over the top. I like a lot of the effects during the psychedelic break. But regardless, I think it would be fun to have the guitar play a more psychedelic sort of role.

As for the video, I think as an actual music video, it's rather odd to have a DAW. However, as a recording geek who uses a DAW, some of it is interesting because it shows a bit of what was used. So I have no idea where that leaves me. biggrin.gif

Getting back to the psychedelic aspect for a second, I absolutely love Mandrake Memorial, particularly "Puzzle". It was gloriously psychedelic, and the guitar parts were really integral to that along with the interesting use of orchestrations and stuff like that, so I would love to see treatments such as that.

• Members

Great track Craig, it's really not far off the mark in my most humble opinion.

I bet Cakewalk would love that video for a promo.

Keep up the jams and great Guitar work just the right amount and not solicitously self absorbent and over bearing.

Archived