Guild S-250 information?

jamesjustjames

• Members

So, I snagged an 81 Guild S-250 the other day off craigslist for 400$, which seemed like a steal. Good condition over all, some slight yellowing in the finish, which i think is pretty rad, a couple nicks here and there, but over all really nice for a 30 year old guitar. I was wondering if anyone had information about the guitar...what wood they were made of, seems pretty light, lighter than my J. Mascis jazzmaster actually. Also, I had a question about the electronics..the phase switch only seems to work with the bridge pickup, and it seems only really noticeable when both pickups are engaged...generally it's a really interesting, nice playing guitar...just needs a setup. Any info on value, etc. would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

• Members

HNGD. A phase switch is only supposed to work when both pups are on. That's what it does, puts the pups out of phase with each other. You may hear a slight drop off in sound for a split second when you turn it on which is what you're experiencing when the main switch is in the bridge position. In the neck pos it will be less noticeable but still there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have one of these, too.... Guild's first Strat-style body.

S-250

manufactured: 1981-83

body: mahogany

neck: 24 frets, set neck

scale: 24 3/4"

overall length: 38 7/8"

width at nut: 1 5/8"

electronics/pickups: 2 Guild XR-7 pickups. Two volume, one tone control. Coil tap or phase switch optional

hardware: SP-6 tailpiece adjusto-matic bridge

Mine looks just like this one:

big%20guild%20s250DSCN8499.jpg

finishes: Sunburst, Candy Apple Red, Black

• Members

but will hans answer an email? i dunno. i DO know Jay will

I've conversed with Hans before. I think you can track him down at "Lets Talk Guild." I think CG ran him off of Tweedscape.

Walter Broes, also Dutch, is also quite a Guild afficianado [sic].

• Members

i LOVE the 80's guild solidbodies. Ive owned an X79 with the cloud headstock instead of the production ameoba headstock. Also owned an S280 Flyer prototype that was made for Steve Lynch of Autograph. had the "heartbeat" logo and one knob. the only 280 i ever saw with a single vol knob and no tone.

Great Score

Archived