New Neck day.......soon to be new renovated Strat day....

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

Decided to go for a replacement Warmoth neck for my Small headstock Hwy. 1 strat.

nothing wrong with the original one, but I want to try out the 1.75" nut width.

I was just going to buy a guitar that came with that nut width, but there really aren't many. Gretsch and Godin mostly.....or custom.

Haven't installed it yet.

MF messed up my order for Hipshot tuners....they sent me a 3+3 set, instead of the 6 inline. The correct tuners should be here tomorrow.

I'll have to step drill/ream the tuner holes as I ordered it without being sure of which tuners I was going to choose. No biggie.

Here's the guitar:

IMG_20111227_222106.jpg

Here's the neck:

Headstock Stratocaster

• Members

Both of my Warmoth necks were purchased used, but one was never worked on and never leveled before I installed it. I checked it and it seemed about 99% right, but I did a quicky level anyway. Doc Morbius has received two necks directly from Warmoth and neither had a fret level. Of of them, I'd say, is in the top 15 or 20 necks I've ever played. Maybe a fret level would help, but it's damn decent as is.

I'd just install the neck and go for it. Warmoth is better than the average company that builds sub $300 guitars. Like I said, maybe a level will help... maybe dressing the fret ends is a bonus, but three for three in my experience made me completely happy right out of the box.

Interesting you went with the Hip Shot tuners. I've all be decided my next project will use a Warmoth with a 1.75", rosewood fretboard and black Hip Shot tuners. :thu:

• Members
Both of my Warmoth necks were purchased used, but one was never worked on and never leveled before I installed it. I checked it and it seemed about 99% right, but I did a quicky level anyway. Doc Morbius has received two necks directly from Warmoth and neither had a fret level. Of of them, I'd say, is in the top 15 or 20 necks I've ever played. Maybe a fret level would help, but it's damn decent as is.

I'd just install the neck and go for it. Warmoth is better than the average company that builds sub $300 guitars. Like I said, maybe a level will help... maybe dressing the fret ends is a bonus, but three for three in my experience made me completely happy right out of the box.

Interesting you went with the Hip Shot tuners. I've all be decided my next project will use a Warmoth with a 1.75", rosewood fretboard and black Hip Shot tuners.
:thu:

Cool !

• Members

Interesting you went with the Hip Shot tuners. I've all be decided my next project will use a Warmoth with a 1.75", rosewood fretboard and black Hip Shot tuners.
:thu:

That's great news!

I got the neck out of their "showcase" section.......it had the exact specs to what I was building in their custom neck interface.......but was substantially cheaper.

Yeah, I've had some really great experiences with Hipshot.

From their replacement bridges, to them sending me some bass body inserts for free when I couldn't find any others.

Very nice people, well designed products and great customer services.

I didn't really need locking tuners but they're the same price as the standard tuners, and I figured it couldn't hurt.

Weight/neck dive shouldn't be a big deal since it's a Strat.

The thought of building a nice Warmoth guitar is very tempting now.........a bit expensive, no resale, but it really allows you to get what you want.

• Members

I Would Say With

Stainless Steel Frets

Your Good To Go !

This is my first foray in Stainless........people seems to say they are brighter and all that crap, but we'll see.

I'm mostly interested in their long life and smooth feel (from what I've read).

Seems like most people complain about SS frets that aren't leveled.......that the buzz of a high fret is much more noticeable.

• Members

Love fat necks, love SS frets, sounds like a big win to me. Happy new neck day!

I have never had problems with having to level a neck from warmoth or musikraft for that matter. I think you have to get unlucky.

Looking forward to some final pics! Got a better camera?

• Members

The little note they send with the neck says that the neck may need a fret level and dressing.

Is this something that most do to achieve better action?

Or can you just install the neck and go?

The three I have ordered have all been good to go.

Archived