What's wrong with this guitar?

ILikeGuitar

• Members

I can't tell what's wrong with my new Epi LP and if I should return it. Even after setting it up (action lowered to where I like it and relief was adjusted) I feel like I'm fighting it when doing bends... Also the strings are really stiff and high tension. The stock strings slip from under my fingers because I'm fighting so hard to do just a whole step bend. I've had many short scale guitars before and they definitely did not feel like this...

• Members

If you want to be in E standard, make sure you are not tuned too high. Some strings are harder to bend than others, at least to me. If you haven't changed strings on it, do so.

Other than that, you probably have your action too low.

• Members

Tail and Bridge piece may nee adjusting, i tend to try and get a balance for the two, with action and tension.

have you checked the machine head end to see if that's all okay? I've had advice from luthiers that strings only need a couple of turns. too many may affect the tension as well.

I wouldnt change guage just yet until all other options are used. But it is a quick fix

• Members

I can't tell what's wrong with my new Epi LP and if I should return it. Even after setting it up (action lowered to where I like it and relief was adjusted) I feel like I'm fighting it when doing bends... Also the strings are really stiff and high tension. The stock strings slip from under my fingers because I'm fighting so hard to do just a whole step bend. I've had many short scale guitars before and they definitely did not feel like this...

Well you could try lighter strings, say 009's, or tuning down a half step. Blues guitarists have been tuning down to E-flat for decades in order to bend the strings with ease. (The guitar also sounds really hot when tuned down that way.)

Just don't forget to check your truss rod if you switch to strings that are much lighter than you have now.

• Members

Polish the frets, put on fresh strings, route the strings back through the and over the tailpiece.

^^ new strings. I don't think the stock ones are that great. You could raise the action just a hair untill your finger tips just start to slide a little under the string not putting all the pressure down on the fret.

I know on my strat this makes a huge differance

Archived