Not So Happy New Guitar Day....

FoonkySteve

• Members

Fender uses Bullet strings not addario, Are you sure it's not a used guitar. If your not happy with it now that's going to be a long relationship.

I don't know if it has anything to do with it being CIC? I was expecting bullets to be in there, but it was definately d'addario's unless any other company uses coloured ball ends??

Now, about this fret buzz business......... I don't know if my ears are just being too picky now, but i noticed when i was playing my strat, i think that is buzzing alot too, but it doesn't come through the amp, and im not gonna change anything about that, coz i really happy with it. I think the thinline is buzzing the same amount but i'm just noticing it more because of the hollow chamber making it acousticly louder? Although it is coming through the amp a wee tiny bit, i'll attempt the necessary tweaks. If all else fails, it goes back to the shop tomorrow. :thu:

• Members

Just remember, a guitars parts are highly interactive, i.e. whenever you adjust something something else will be affected - so as you go on experimenting you will have to juggle around with the various screws and bolts until you find a balance you are happy with.

Have fun :)

• Members

Buy Dan Erlewine's book on guitar set-up ("Make your electric guitar play great", I think) and consider it paying for set-ups for the rest of your life. Seriously, once you get a grip on how a guitar neck works, ALL your guitars will play just how you want.

• Members

Fender uses Bullet strings not addario, Are you sure it's not a used guitar. If your not happy with it now that's going to be a long relationship.

Yeah, something sounds wrong here. It sounds like the instrument is filthy as well. Why would a shop change strings on a new guitar?

When my new Jazzie Classic Player arrived I had NONE of your problems, the neck felt sleek and smooth instantly, the strings were Fender and the setup was perfect. The ONLY thing wrong was a missing tremola bar, which took a while to resolve but was.

• Members

Not to be nitpicky but I remember hearing that Fender strings are currently made by D'Addario anyway. Their strings definitely have changed in the past 5-6 years. Nowhere is this more apparent than in their nickel bass strings, which used to have fabric wraps and no longer do, which seems to give away the D'Addario thing IMO.

• Members

That struck me as well. I wonder if there was a warranty registration card included with the guitar. It could be that it was a guitar that was sold, returned in new condition and sold again as new.

Congrats on your new skill sets FoonkySteve. Even if you return the guitar you'll come out ahead with the knowledge you've gained.

• Members

The thing is, your issues seem to be with the setup, not the guitar. And ANY guitar needs to be setup when you buy it; if not, it's sheer luck.

Learning to set your instrument up to your preferences is part of being a player, IMHO, and worth the effort. That way you can buy the guitar you want regardless of how the maroon who shipped it/unpacked it/boogered it up at the store messed it up.

• Members

for those saying to just get another one hes in Scotland. I thought the same thing-just get a different one as I can play probably 100 different models, but where the OP is thats probably not an option.

True, its {censored} here........ it's full of Gingers, and Rain, oh yeah and i had to wait about 5/6 weeks on this guitar :(

• Members

Sooooooooooooooooo..............

I went down to the dealer on sat, to check in my guitar with the tech. Whilst i was there, they had in another Fender Mod Player thinline the sunburst one, so i gave em a side by side comparison.

I thought the tweaks i made had not made much difference, but man..........! The sunburst one played really {censored}ty (imo) (and im aware it's nothing to do with the colour).

Im sure the sunburst one played the same as mine did before the tweaks, so thanks again guys, the tweaks did make a bigger difference than i thought they did.

However, mines is still not 'there' yet, so i hoped the tech could take it to the finish line.

So i get a call from the tech today. Guitar is ready for collection, he has made the same tweaks as i have, but filed the nut slots too, and adjusted the saddle heights back in line with the radius. So i have to go try it out, and if i'm still not happy, he says he can crown the frets too, although it will cost more of course.

If i don't get down to try it today i wont get down until sat, so i'll keep y'all posted :thu:

• Members

Sooooooooooooooooo..............

I went down to the dealer on sat, to check in my guitar with the tech. Whilst i was there, they had in another Fender Mod Player thinline the sunburst one, so i gave em a side by side comparison.

I thought the tweaks i made had not made much difference, but man..........! The sunburst one played really {censored}ty (imo) (and im aware it's nothing to do with the colour).

Im sure the sunburst one played the same as mine did before the tweaks, so thanks again guys, the tweaks did make a bigger difference than i thought they did.

However, mines is still not 'there' yet, so i hoped the tech could take it to the finish line.

So i get a call from the tech today. Guitar is ready for collection, he has made the same tweaks as i have, but filed the nut slots too, and adjusted the saddle heights back in line with the radius. So i have to go try it out, and if i'm still not happy, he says he can crown the frets too, although it will cost more of course.

If i don't get down to try it today i wont get down until sat, so i'll keep y'all posted
:thu:

It should not cost anything he is a Fender dealer. Get your money if they are trying to charge you for warrenty work to get a turd to play.. Tell them to get it playing or take it back, not your fault it needs a fret level.

• Members

It should not cost anything he is a Fender dealer. Get your money if they are trying to charge you for warrenty work to get a turd to play.. Tell them to get it playing or take it back, not your fault it needs a fret level.

It's not cost me anything at this point for the work done so far. Im not exactly sure where i stand with this one, i bought it from a fender dealer, but thier in house tech doesn't really work for them, i think he just rents his space, and the dealer has paid him for the repair so far. Though the dealer has said they can get the tech to crown the frets for

• Members

This isn't intended to be a Fender bash, but these are made in China and retail for $450 -- I would be shocked if they didn't require a nut slotting and fret leveling to make them playable. The ad copy refers to these "my first Fender" beginner guitars; I'd expect about the same quality as those in the Squier Affinity series, honestly.

• Members

This isn't intended to be a Fender bash, but these are made in China and retail for $450 -- I would be shocked if they
didn't
require a nut slotting and fret leveling to make them playable. The ad copy refers to these "my first Fender" beginner guitars; I'd expect about the same quality as those in the Squier Affinity series, honestly.

Yeah i get ya. I've played many affinity's and bullet's with better action though. Fenders prices in the uk have just went up again in the uk as of last week. The thinline now retails (over here) for

• Members

Got the Guitar Back from the tech! What a difference! I think filing down the nut slots did the trick!

Very happy with the guitar now! Feels great, strings are not as tight, bending all over the neck is a breeze, wee bit of buzz but i can live with it ;)

Now it sounds great, looks great, and plays great! CIC btw..........

I've learned a lot from this experience, thanks guys! :thu:

Archived