Lefty players using a righty (restrung) LP or SG or similar body - question...

Phait

• Members

Your arm will hit the knobs, The nut will need to be replaced, and also the guitar will neck-dive like crazy. Which is why every time someone in a store says "Why don't you just flip a righty over" I tend to get quite angry. It's far easier to just buy a lefty. If it's deals you want, go to rondomusic - tons of cheap lefties.

• Members

You should be able to avoid the control knobs fairly easy on a rightey LP or SG with conscious arm placement. However, I'd think you would hate dealing with the neck strap on an upside-down Les Paul.

Compare these Hendrix images between upside-down LP and SG usage. The SG still balances fine...

HendrixLPC54.jpgHendrix%2520SG.jpg

• Members

You should be able to avoid the control knobs fairly easy on a rightey LP or SG with conscious arm placement. However, I'd think you would hate dealing with the neck strap on an upside-down Les Paul.

Compare these Hendrix images between upside-down LP and SG usage. The SG still balances fine...

The SG balances fine? Or he's playing it and holding it in position, just like all his guitars?

And note in both photos how his arm is resting on the knobs on both guitars.

• Members

My first electric was a right-handed Marlin Loner (a Jackson-style Eighties superstrat type). Never had a problem with the knobs being under my arm, though I did occasionally hit the selector switch. The biggest pain, though, was that the jack socket was on the edge, like an LP - kept poking me in the ribs and getting in the way. Balance wasn't ever an issue, though. The one guitar I'd consider doing that on now is a Strat. Avoided it for years owing to the Hendrix comparison, but what the hell... now I think it would be fun. Can't justify the outlay on a right handed CIJ 68 Strat, so holding out hope that Squier will bring out a 68 model in their CV series (surprised they haven't yet) and I'll do it with that. Always loved the look of a Tele "Hendrixed" - Phil Chevron (Pogues) played one like that in his Radiators From Space days, but the jack socket gets in the way....

• Members

Your arm will hit the knobs, The nut will need to be replaced, and also the guitar will neck-dive like crazy. Which is why every time someone in a store says "Why don't you just flip a righty over" I tend to get quite angry. It's far easier to just buy a lefty. If it's deals you want, go to rondomusic - tons of cheap lefties.

+1

Agile has plenty of decent LP lefties under $500 (some are $250 or even less). There's also a pretty comprehensive line of Dillion lefty LP-type & SG-type guitars and some suspect that they are manufactured by the same Korean companies - though the guitars are somewhat different and the Dillions cost a bit more. Adirondack Guitar - which seems to emphasize lefty guitars - seems to carry lots of Dillions.

I own an Agile AL-2000 P-90 Goldtop lefty. It is a good guitar, IMO, but it was in desperate need of setup - which included a fair bit of fret leveling and nut slot filing - when I got it. The only real complaint I have is that it's very heavy. While RondoMusic lists them as 10 lbs...an awful lot of them seem to be much heavier and mine is just a few ounces shy of 13 lbs.

Archived