Yamaha Electrics Question

gergbee

• Members

Hi all,

I was in my local guitar store looking for practice tube amps but they had nothing new.

I saw they moved all their old Yamaha electrics to the front of the store. Looks like they are trying to clear them out to make some room.

These are new guitars that are old stock. They've got a Pacifica 612 for around $500. It's really nice looking and the original price was listed at around $1000 or so., they had a 412 for $429, and a weird looking plasticy guitar that was light as a feather.... I forget the model name.

They also had one on consignment that intrigued me. It was a SGV 800... looked like a surfy kind of guitar. I don't remember the cost of that one but I think it was under $300.

Anyone have any experience with any of these and are the NOS prices in the ballpark or ?

Thanks,

Greg

• Members

Which one are you eyeing? Yamaha's a great bang-for-buck company. Their higher end electrics don't get nearly enough respect.

I'm actually thinking about the SGV 800 more and more. It was a kind of a sparkly dark blue. I gotta go back and play it.

• Members

There were two versions of the RGX-A2 (in addition to there being both a black model and a white model). For a short while, there was a version that had a USB connection.

Yeah, I checked and that is what it is. It is white. I don't remember seeing a USB connection.

• Members

Pricing seems high compared to used versions, but I have no idea of the markup for an unplayed instrument. I picked up my 921 for $200 off of CL, although it needed a bit of work and I've seen 600 level instruments go for anything from 200-400 on eBay.

Guitarcenter has various used Yamahas in the 400 and 500 level for around $200 right now- they aren't common but they usually have a couple in that range whenever I check. They have an RGXA2 for $190.

• Members
Hi all,

I was in my local guitar store looking for practice tube amps but they had nothing new.

I saw they moved all their old Yamaha electrics to the front of the store. Looks like they are trying to clear them out to make some room.

These are
new
guitars that are old stock. They've got a Pacifica 612 for around $500. It's really nice looking and the original price was listed at around $1000 or so., they had a 412 for $429, and a weird looking plasticy guitar that was light as a feather.... I forget the model name.

They also had one on consignment that intrigued me. It was a SGV 800... looked like a surfy kind of guitar. I don't remember the cost of that one but I think it was under $300.

Anyone have any experience with any of these and are the NOS prices in the ballpark or ?

Thanks,

Greg

Those are super cool!

sgv800_01.jpg

They also have a $9,000 model of it:

644A0F99BF444432A349DA2B6EB2B76F_12.jpg

• Members

Yup, that's the beast. I went and checked it out a bit more closely today. It played pretty well: the tremolo is really smooth, pickups sounded nice, etc. The finish is odd though...it was like there were ripples in the finish somehow. Something was off...

I got a poor phone pic of it.
66d1e0e5.jpg

They want $250 for it.

• Members

They also had a 300 model from that series...think thats what it was...generally, and I`d have to check my catalogues to be sure...but the 300 would mean it retailed for 30,000 and was lower end...the 800 series would have sold for 80,000 and was higher end...I think $250.00 for one would be a steal, especially for a new one.

The $9000.00 version is the Terry Blue Jean...or something ... was made famous by a Japanese guy who played one decades ago, that one seen here is the reissue.

• Members

Zenbu, thanks for the info re: the SGV 800. It's not new, it's on consignment. There is some odd finish issues on the guitar...maybe temperature changes caused some lines to appear in the finish? I'm not sure how to describe it.

I am trying to figure out the serial number. Is the first figure a Q or an O or a 0 (zero)?

7fbda995.jpg

Archived