John Frusciante?

dunning-kruger

• Members

Getting a new guitar on friday!

just wanted to know if it was close to one of his guitars specs.

Well i got a classic series 50's Im looking at geeting this week, so i got a 7.25 neck right there. and one day ill get a classic series 60's too, not cause he plays a guitar similar to it, but im excited to know its close to a guitar that he plays.

anyone know if his guitars radius are diffrent even tough there 60s and 50s strats.

I geese those are his main two strats, a rosewood 60s is his preference apparently.

• Members

Actual vintage Fenders - a 50s 2-tone burst with a maple board, 60s 3-tone burst with a rosewood board, 60s fiesta red with a rosewood board. Radii are presumably 7.5" as they are 50s/60s strats, but you should get whatever radius you feel comfortable with as that is entirely player preference for feel. Have heard that in at least one of them the pickups are not the originals but instead are Seymour Duncan antiquities, but at this point with all the aftermarket pickup options that are about as accurate as can be to vintage tone, plenty of choices will work.

Basically, there's nothing complicated about it. Just get a basic vintage-spec Strat. You can grab that kind of guitar off the rack from Fender or a variety of other makers.

• Members

Seriously... any decent strat that feels good in your hands... with decent pickups in the ballpark of the of where you want to be sonically, through the right type of amp... with whatever required pedals is going to get you very close... everything else is in your hands man.

John would sound like John playing a Classic Player strat into my buddy's Silverface Super Reverb, playing my Japanese Squier through my old Twin or through his personal rig.

• Members

Im completely comfortable with any radius and thats not an issue for me.

I love all kinds of guitars just like i like all kinds of {censored}. When it comes to les pauls I imagine i could play one with a 7.25 or 9.5 neck if they made one? but really i like my les pauls with 12".

and if i play strats or telecaster, altough most of the ones ive owened have been 9.5 or compact radius i always prefer the 7.25 when it comes to fenders especially telecasters owing a classic series telecaster with the 7.25 neck! strats i dont really discriminate cause the ones ive owned have varied in necks, but Ive only ever had one telecaster and thats the classic series 50 tele.

I just wouldnt mind jumping on a 7.25 especially if its a classic series.

So i geese ill take your advice, Ive acknowledged the fact ill never own a 60's fender but im more than comfortable with getting a vintage speced guitar infact im really excited!

and yeah i know, i dont mean to go out be like JOhn frusciante or Jimi hendrix but its nice to know i have a guitar that speced to there.

• Members

As a strat player of the last 30 years, shape of the neck is everything in my opinion. :thu:

My three main guitars are all strats... one has a 7.25" radius and vintage frets, one has a 9.5" radius and medium jumbos and one has a 10-16 compound radius and frets that are tall but thin. I like all the neck roughly equally. They feel different and inspire me in different ways, but it's all about neck feel.

• Members

I think aside from the radius i really want to like the shape of the neck.

Definitely. Basically what I was trying to say - John's Strats are all in the standard configuration as Leo designed it. There's nothing particularly obscure or unique about his guitars that you'll need to consider in order to cop his sounds. I wouldn't start with a particular model in mind - hit up a few shops, pull a bunch of single coil Strats off the way, find one that rings particularly well and feels good in your hands, and roll with it! :thu:

As radii are being discussed, I think it's important to consider fret size along with radii. A 7.5" radius is tougher to bend on, but bigger frets can partially alleviate that issue. When you get the really small vintage frets along with the highly curved boards, that's where the bends can get tough. I'm guessing John's Strats have been re-fretted more than a few times!

• Members

he plays original 62 strats and 60's and 50's telecasters. well, he used to. i think he's producing now.

this place had a great list of his gear. i know because i started my gear list trying to "emulate" his sound. fortunately about 3 pedals in , i realized its impossible.

also, if i could get one effect to try to get to his "sound", it'd be a strat through a boss ds-1 into a marshall. yes, a boss ds-1.

http://jftab.com/htm/john-frusciante-gear-guitars.html

Archived