Tele variations I don't get

Sandy Cheeks

• Members

My only Tele variation dislike is the huge '70s custom and custom deluxe pickguards that cover 60-75% of the top of the guitar. Just a big old ugly slab of plastic that aesthetically revolts me. Not enough to reject such a guitar as a gift, but enough to make me super reluctant to purchase...unless it sounded awesome. I even like the Tele-esque Allan Holdsworth guitars that Carvin makes. My current variant favorite is this:

StreamImage.aspx?Image_ID=B231B2B3-1A7F-

Durn that's tasty. I usually think Godin models don't capture much Tele vibe but I could dig that. (Check's Godin site...) What model is that and is it currently available? I can't find it!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Durn that's tasty. I usually think Godin models don't capture much Tele vibe but I could dig that. (Check's Godin site...) What model is that and is it currently available? I can't find it!

They just announced it NAMM a few weeks ago. It's their Session Custom and I want it NOW! But it'll have to wait. I find them to notoriously slow at updating their Web site, but there's some good info at Premier Guitar (.com) and videos, like this one.

• Members
My only Tele variation dislike is the huge '70s custom and custom deluxe pickguards that cover 60-75% of the top of the guitar. Just a big old ugly slab of plastic that aesthetically revolts me. Not enough to reject such a guitar as a gift, but enough to make me super reluctant to purchase...unless it sounded awesome. I even like the Tele-esque Allan Holdsworth guitars that Carvin makes. My current variant favorite is this:

StreamImage.aspx?Image_ID=B231B2B3-1A7F-

First time I have seen this Godin! Love it and think I must have one.

• Members

Just fooling around with a tele with the neck pu dropped all the way down I can see the attraction. Most of the influence of the bridge with little of the neck with no hum in the middle position, the bridge alone in the third position...and vol./tone to play around with.

• Members

You know what I like that I should keep my mouth shut about? I like those schecter bound HH teles that Pete Townshend used to play. It was like a bantam weight les paul. When fender had the PT signature guitar that was a strat, I was like WTF? They should have ripped off the schecter thing.

Oh yeah, those PTs are sweet as well. The original '80s ones seem to be going for some decent $$$ these days...too rich for my blood, unfortunately.

Archived