My first fret level was a success! (Long post, lots of pics)

Mind Riot

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...
  • Members

Hmmmm...the bump was yesterday, 11-15-09.

First post in this thread was 11-15-06. Probably intentional.

Seems like more time than that to me. But it's a neat milestone to look at. In the last three years I've progressed thusly:

My very first fret level on a Squier

Multiple fret levels with various methods

Multiple nut replacements, starting with preslotted then from blanks of various materials

Built a precision neck jig

Proceeded to refretting

Proceeded to refretting with stainless steel fretwire

Various pickup and hardware replacements spread throughout

And ultimately coming to from scratch full custom hand made guitars.

I don't really know what I'm going to do next. :idk:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Great posts guys. I did my '51 the day I got. I didn't have it out of the box for 5 minutes and I already had the files and sandpaper out
:)
I've done a loot of them myself over the years and it's definitely worth learning how to do for those so inclined.

The thing about rocking a short straight-edge to find high and low frets has worked for me countless times. Good one
:)

Can one use a common credit card for this?

• Members

Seems like more time than that to me. But it's a neat milestone to look at. In the last three years I've progressed thusly:

Are there additions or omissions you would make to your 3 year old post as for leveling a neck with a specific radius. Do you employ Atrox's method of spot leveling problem areas first? How do you proceed now compared to how you did your first Squier 51 neck?

• Members

My very first fret level on a Squier

Multiple fret levels with various methods

Multiple nut replacements, starting with preslotted then from blanks of various materials

Built a precision neck jig

Proceeded to refretting

Proceeded to refretting with stainless steel fretwire

Various pickup and hardware replacements spread throughout

And ultimately coming to from scratch full custom hand made guitars.

I don't really know what I'm going to do next.
:idk:

While this is topped, what do you use for working with stainless frets? I've already gone through a file like it was nothing...:mad:

• Members

While this is topped, what do you use for working with stainless frets? I've already gone through a file like it was nothing...
:mad:

I use a dead flat, 11 inch long diamond stone. It was an investment, cost about $70, but it makes quick work of stainless frets and I wouldn't want to level them without it (did that once). I've built four guitars with stainless frets and it's definitely been worth it.

I also recrown with a diamond file, then scratch removal and polish is done with sandpaper and Micro Mesh (I don't have a buffer).

• 2 years later...
  • Members

google "great planes easy touch bar sander". They are inexpensive and I've been using a couple of the different sizes for a few years now. 22 inch seems to fit the bill for most work and the 5.5 inch is good for smaller jobs.

• Members

google "great planes easy touch bar sander". They are inexpensive and I've been using a couple of the different sizes for a few years now. 22 inch seems to fit the bill for most work and the 5.5 inch is good for smaller jobs.

Thanks for the tip! Any idea on how accurate/flat the bar is?

• Members

I have mentioned them a few times. i'm surprised it's not mentioned in this thread, but I'm too lazy too look back. My sig link may have a few links that mention it.

Anyway, yeah.. been using the Great Planes bars for many years now. They are the best and dirt cheap. Mine have lasted forever and have many uses beyond fret leveling.

• Members

I was going to order one of their short bars last night, but then the width got me wondering. 2 1/8" wide where most purpose-made fret levelers are only 1". I know the radius of the fretboard means you can just rock the bar as you go and you should be fine. I dunno, just not sure I wanna test that assumption. But then you all use it with perfectly acceptable results it seems.

• Members

I was going to order one of their short bars last night, but then the width got me wondering. 2 1/8" wide where most purpose-made fret levelers are only 1". I know the radius of the fretboard means you can just rock the bar as you go and you should be fine. I dunno, just not sure I wanna test that assumption. But then you all use it with perfectly acceptable results it seems.

You actually have more control with the wider bar. Do it. I would be pissed if I didn't have them at this point in my guitar building career

Archived