Gretsch CVT III

honeyiscool

• Members

I like it. It was bashed here, on principle, I guess, because it's constructed with basswood. I thought the bashing was foolish, in that no one had actually played the thing. But I'm going to commit the same type of offense by saying that, if the pickups are similar to those on the Junior Jets (I and II), playing that guitar will be fun for a day, and the second day you'll be thinking, "How do I get the blanket off my amp?"

• Members

I'm not digging it. For some reason, trans red finished guitars without a pickguard turn me off. Also, strap button placement. Kind of bizarre.

Things I do like about it though: Gretsch Electromatic series is generally pretty good, mini buckers, pickup selector placement, only 2 knobs.

• Members

I like it. It was bashed here, on principle, I guess, because it's constructed with basswood. I thought the bashing was foolish, in that no one had actually played the thing. But I'm going to commit the same type of offense by saying that, if the pickups are similar to those on the Junior Jets (I and II), playing that guitar will be fun for a day, and the second day you'll be thinking, "How do I get the blanket off my amp?"

Cheap mini-hums seem to be real hit and miss. Thankfully, the guitar in the OP is only $450 or so, and that leaves plenty of money for a set of DiMarzios or something else.

That said, though, the more I compare the CVT (mahogany and Bigsby) with the CVT III, the less I like the CVT III. It has nothing to do with basswood for me. It's that, dude, what is with that neck joint? I like my upper frets.

• Members

If they made that one without the Bigsby or the one in your first post with two pickups, I'd own one.

For the record, I don't hate those pickups at all. I played this one at Sweetwater through a couple different amps and it sounded pretty much great to me and I'm somewhat of a pickup snob. I bought a Powerjet a while back with the full intent of either flipping the guitar or changing the pickups to TV Jones. I still have the guitar and I've kept the stock pickups. I think a lot of Gretsch fanboys have a vintage Gretsch or a more modern Gretsch with TV Jones installed and sure... if you compare one of those back to back with any of the sub $2,000 Gretschs...

:idk:

DV016_Jpg_Large_513281.019_burgundy_R.jp

Archived