A tele can come closer to doing the LP thing than a LP to doing the tele thing?

caveman

• Members

To me, that's the proof right there.

Nobody thought that Frampton Comes Alive! was played on a Tele.

The whole concert was played on a telecaster?

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/03/peter-frampton-reunited-with-best-guitar-after-31-years/

I also don't believe that 'KR' can get every guitar to sound the same as every other guitar on any amp. I think that was probably a joke. To me, his Get yer Ya Ya's sounds, which were not played on a tele (in fact he may not have played one at all), are quite different to albums where he is playing a tele.

Note: he said 'it comes to you with old age'... ie. when your hearing is going! ;-))

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Absolutely true. Put a humbucker or even a single coil sized humbucker in a tele and it'll be closer to a LP. But no way are you going to get a tele twang out of a LP.

took the words right out of my mouth :cop:

• Members

Since teles are really versatile, why aren't they recommended for beginners that much?

I'd recommend a tele to a beginner :idk:

Maybe the thinking is that a tele doesn't hide your mistakes and would be bad for beginners? That would be a bonus for me though.

• Members

The original question wasn't 'Can a Tele sound exactly like a Les Paul?' Obviously, it doesn't, for dozens of reasons ... however, it's easier to rough up a Tele and boost it into approximate LP territory than it is to thin out and a clean up a Les Paul to get it onto Tele turf.

And a good Strat with the right extras can get you surprisingly close to both.

• Moderators

And that's precisely why a Strat will always be Leo's greatest triumph, and it's pretty, light, ergonomic and makes you girl bait, while Teles are owned by people whose hair smells of Golden Retrievers, have anal abcesses and attract the kind of women who just want to while away the time by eating cake

• Moderators

Maybe the thinking is that a tele doesn't hide your mistakes and would be bad for beginners?

Oh not this old "polygraph" bollocks........so a Strat, LP Gretsch Duo Jet, etc all disguise mistakes that a Tele doesn't:poke:

Tele's are stringed planks with an overestimated personality, underneath, they're just shallow

• Members

The original question wasn't 'Can a Tele sound exactly like a Les Paul?' Obviously, it doesn't, for dozens of reasons ... however, it's easier to rough up a Tele and boost it into approximate LP territory than it is to thin out and a clean up a Les Paul to get it onto Tele turf.

Yes, it is interesting how many threads there are about how a tele can get to sound like a Les Paul, but very few on how a strat might sound like one. Yet, logically, it should be almost as easy to get a strat to do both, as you say, especially once oyu have wired the bridge pickup to a tone control. There are, after all, probably many more 'users of LPs' in the genre of 60s-70s rock who turned later in life to strats - Clapton, Townshend, Beck, etc etc...

I have to agree with what someone posted further up though. A tele sounds, largely, like a tele, a strat like a strat and a Les Paul like a Les Paul. In these days of really excellent a relatively v cheap copies, you can have a bit of everything if you so desire.

• Members

None of them can do 'the other's thing' or even close to. Personally, I don't want them to either. 2 different beasts with their own personalities.

If you want the sound of a Tele, then get a Tele. Same with a Les Paul, Strat etc.

Anyway, there is a lot of other things that's affecting the sound, like amps, effects and last but not least: the player.

• Members

None of them can do 'the other's thing' or even close to. Personally, I don't want them to either. 2 different beasts with their own personalities.

If you want the sound of a Tele, then get a Tele. Same with a Les Paul, Strat etc.

Anyway, there is a lot of other things that's affecting the sound, like amps, effects and
last but not least: the player.

Particularly when playing clean.

• Members
And that's precisely why a Strat will always be Leo's greatest triumph, and it's pretty, light, ergonomic and makes you girl bait, while Teles are owned by people whose hair smells of Golden Retrievers, have anal abcesses and attract the kind of women who just want to while away the time by eating cake

oh really? :mad:

• Members

Teles are owned by people whose hair smells of Golden Retrievers, have anal abcesses and attract the kind of women who just want to while away the time by eating cake

Damn, rumbled again...

• Members

Anyway, there is a lot of other things that's affecting the sound, like amps, effects and last but not least: the player.

JChrist? THE JCHrist?!?

Dang, I always figured you for a Strat man. BTW, how we doing on that lottery thing I talked to you about last week?

• Members

Oh not this old "polygraph" bollocks........so a Strat, LP Gretsch Duo Jet, etc all disguise mistakes that a Tele doesn't:poke:

Tele's are stringed planks with an overestimated personality, underneath, they're just shallow

I didn't say i bought into that. I play teles and sound just as bad as I do with anything else :)

Archived