A tele can come closer to doing the LP thing than a LP to doing the tele thing?

caveman

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Hmmm, depends which LP and depends which Tele, a classic 50s Tele cannot sound like a 70s LP, and a 50s LP can get close to a Tele with split coils and coil taps.

Don't forget that a lot of the music Page played on LZ 1 & II with a Tele was reproduced very adequately on stage with his JP circuited LP.

A Tele with both pickups on can sound sorta like an aspect of a LP, but can't do everything a LP can do and vise versa

Interesting question, but there are too many different LP and Teles

• Members
^^^^

Roll the tone back and pile on some gain ...

... and it sounds like a tele with the tone rolled back at high gain (at least to my ears)! :lol:

For me, there is a completely different character to humbuckers with gain, compared to Fender single coils with the tone rolled back to any position, and with the amp EQed to any point. But no doubt hundreds will disagree with me.

• Members

I would say true, though I think it depends on the Tele. A standard can come pretty close, though the one Tele I've seen that can do anything a LP can do and more is my father's beautiful set-neck Tele, with dual SD humbuckers and a figured maple top. Both humbuckers are tapped, too.

But with that said... Why not have both? ;)

• Members

+1 ive always tought that too.

but im always surprised to see the video and there he is playing a les paul. of couse its his standard guitar but the sounds he got out of it were really akward to say the least.

and +1 for posting that video, just pakced a bowl of Dour D' before i go to school and now im enjoying this video to a ciggarete! thanks! I haventt listend to it in so long. I have the LP! :lol:

• Members

What's been demonstrated by the likes of Jimmy Page and Lord Keef is that experienced players can dial in their signature sound (or something very close to it) from a variety of different guitars and amps.

CSM: Didn

Archived