Pickup Like SD Distortion But Tighter?

Johnny Two Tone

• Members

If you choose to go for the Dimarzio Super Distortion like someone suggested...check eBay.ca...there is also a SD Custom Custom there.

From what I've read the Dimarzio Super Distortion is Dimarzio's equivalent to the SD JB. Since the SD Distortion is just a ceramic JB I have no intention of getting a JB or a Super Distortion. Either way I will definitely use eBay to buy whatever I do go for.

• Members
From what I've read the Dimarzio Super Distortion is Dimarzio's equivalent to the SD JB. Since the SD Distortion is just a ceramic JB I have no intention of getting a JB or a Super Distortion. Either way I will definitely use eBay to buy whatever I do go for.

The Duncan distortion is a ceramic JB. Dimarzios version of the JB is the Norton. The Dimarzio Super distortion is about opposite of the Duncan distortion. Its more bass/low mids. But you can't go wrong with BKs.

• Members

Interesting idea but my Distortion doesn't have hex poles (unless I'm misunderstanding the term). It has a row of slotted poles and row of flat-head pins that can't be altered in any way.

Johnny Two Tone, you remove the slotted screws and replace them with hex poles. 5/40# threads 3/4" long. McMaster-Carr have them in packs of 25 to 100. Ace Hardware will have these individually but they are more expensive buying single items than a box of 100.

• Members

Johnny Two Tone, you remove the slotted screws and replace them with hex poles. 5/40# threads 3/4" long. McMaster-Carr have them in packs of 25 to 100. Ace Hardware will have these individually but they are more expensive buying single items than a box of 100.

Oh, haha. I thought you were implying that the pup had a row of hex polls and a row of slotted polls that you can swap. I'll give what you suggest a try. I still need to get a new pup, though - I still have to put this Distortion back in the original guitar it came from (my LP).

• Members

I was checking out pickups again today I came back to this thread. I noticed that in an earlier post I said that my JP6 came with a D-Activator pickup and that it sucks - correction: The JP6 comes with a D-Sonic, not a D-Activator. The D-Sonic, in my opinion, sucks. I have yet to try the D-Activator.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Man I was just thinking of trying the D sonic. What sucks about it? I was wanting a motorcity warcry after hearing this guys clips, but they ran out of the wire to make em :confused:

• Members

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/ccs/open.php

Use this form to contact BK or you can even call them (you're dialing the UK, don't forget)

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/

This is a GREAT place to discuss pickups and ask questions and listen to clips

Also, when you click on each individual's pickup's page, you can read handy product descriptions and listen to short example clips that are very telling.

BK aren't cheap, though. Before you pull the trigger, be sure to ask around and be in touch with them directly about your problem. From what I've heard, they're sure to steer you right and will even give you a hand after you've bought it.

• Members

Use this form to contact BK or you can even call them (you're dialing the UK, don't forget)

This is a GREAT place to discuss pickups and ask questions and listen to clips

Also, when you click on each individual's pickup's page, you can read handy product descriptions and listen to short example clips that are very telling.

BK aren't cheap, though. Before you pull the trigger, be sure to ask around and be in touch with them directly about your problem. From what I've heard, they're sure to steer you right and will even give you a hand after you've bought it.

Their site sure is a lot better than it used to be.

The audio clip that impressed me more than any is the "Heavy" sound for the Rebel Yell pickup. Damn that clip sounds nice. Nothing like what I would look for in a pickup but it sure sounded good.

• Members

Changing the values of the caps or even the pots is something I never really bother trying, though I should one day just to see what I get.

I was looking at the Mega-Drive the other day but I don't hear many say it's comparable to the Distortion. Could be interesting to check out if found for cheap.

• 1 year later...

Archived