My poor MIM strat saga

satannica

• Members

So.

I have a MIM strat. It (was) a great player, did a lot of songs I really like on it. Worst part is it's only 4-5 years old and it's basically unplayable.

Back story, one day I got careless and let the guitar slide and fall on the floor neck down. My reward was two frets nicely dented from the string. OK, I'm a dumbass. So I took it to a friendly local guitar repairer and he told me that the dents were so low, he had to pull the frets, replace them and level the frets.

After getting the guitar back, the frets are so low, the guitar just buzzes all the time no matter what the string height.

Took it to another repairer who said all he could do is refret it as the frets are too low to do anything with.

I quite liked how it played, but right now it's a bit useless. Shame really as it's got some great mods on it - decent pickups, better hardware, etc.

I had thought of just parting it out on ebay, but wondering if I shouldn't give it one last go.

So do I.

A) Go ahead and get it done for

• Members

You seemed to really like the guitar, so I wouldn't let it go, unless you've found another guitar that you like as much.

With a new neck, you could customize it a bit (different fretboard wood, different back shape, etc.) and you'll get 22 frets rather than the MiM standard 21 (if that matters to you). However, a refret would be cheaper and, depending on how busy your repair guy is, possibly a faster turn-around with no shipping charges. Especially if you're in the UK.

Of course, I don't know if you've had any experience with this repair guy, so you may not end up satisfied with his work.

if you're replacing the neck, i'd probably try and find a fender or squier neck. I just read hear yesterday that some warmoth necks need fretwork and nutwork. Might as well get another MIM neck if you know you like it.

All aftermarket necks are likely to need fret and nut work. Warmoth, USACG, MightyMite, Allparts, etc. Even moreso if you go for a used neck, like most Fender necks will be on eBay or whatever.

• Members

1. Don't go to that tech anymore. There is no way it should have been a hard fix and he messed it up really bad if the next guy said it needed refretted.

2. Hunt for a used MIM neck on Ebay, or all parts, or Mighty Mite, or any of the other builders.

• Members

I've bought several used MIM necks over the years and every one has been fine. The advantage is that they're already set up for the guitar you've got. You don't have to shell out another $50 for someone to make the nut and level the frets for you. Just bolt it up and you're done.

• Members

If you get a Mighty Mite get one with jumbo frets. It will most likely need a fret job done so with jumbos you dont have to worry about the tech filing the frets down to nothing. I would definitely go with MIM Fender over MM. Theyre really crappy necks IMO.

Archived