Need advice on fixing these trem posts holes--natural finish body

FarToMany

• Members

I would like to fix these tem post holes permenantly but hopefully without killing the looks of the guitar. The finish is a satin wood finish and my usual way would be to dowel the holes with a bigger dowel and redrill and touch up the finish. But being the guitar basically has no finish, I am concerned of the dowel showing. Also have a splinter starting in the bass side post due to it pulling foward.

Plus, as you can see from the pics below, because the post moved, they also pushed the wood from the trem block cavity area. Again, not sure on a permenat fix that won't shout out---"hey, I've been fixed".

N2trempost1.jpg

N2trempost2.jpg

N2trempost5.jpg

• Members

I would use some epoxy. There are some types that are used to fix rotting wood and anchor bolts can be installed afterwards. You could tint it a little if you wanted but honestly, I would just leave it. You don't want them moving because it's really going to mess with your intonation.

What type of bridge is that for? Maybe you could add a new threaded insert with a collar around it as well.

• Members

I'd drill out over-sized with a forstner bit in a decent drill press, press fit a real hardrock maple dowel lubed with 2pt epoxy, and trim end down flush with (careful!) router bit set even with base. Redrill when totally set up and put post back in, or replace as the tops are stripped bad

by drilling a little deeper (not through!) you'll get good stability and sustain (for a trem!)

• Members

I'd use epoxy myself. Get new studs. Somebody really buggared up the screws to those studs.

With new studs there will be less thread wear and have less schlock.

Most of the problems with wood cracking was cause by the threads not being lubed and the adjustments

being made under tension with springs and strings on. The studs turned with the bolts cracking the wood away.

The wood below the studs is in fairly bad shape. If you drill out new plugs they will need to be fairly

large to not crack again. I cant tell by the pic how much room you have there with the pickups installed.

All the pressure is nostly towards the tail end at the bottom so You could use epoxy putty to fill the whole hole in and redrill.

It dries as hard as rock and can be redrilled to fit the studs. You just need to be sure the putty is fresh,

quickly mix it well, then stuff that hole with a nail head or and unsharpened pencil like you're ramming a canon

or musket. You can add some from the pickup side too to fill that big gap missing. Any other areas like the top

that has cracks I'd wax and tape the surrounding area off and wick crazy glue into the cracks and clamp.

It will prevent any further cracking. You can also get a different whammy that have studs that fit over the top edge

of the body that should cover any additional crack markes after sanding.

• Members

Good ideas so far, keep them coming.

Yes, I do agree I should just get a set of new studs to start with. I will look and see whats out there. The trem is a floydish type deal. I may just buy a new trem, but not that there is alot of value to this guitar (Washburn 1991 N2), I would like to keep it as much original as I can.

Archived