Lick of the Week! - up the down 6th chord.

Mark Wein

[video=youtube;wBnWkl3bo6E]

This is going to be an addition to my weekly podcast...we'll see if I have the time to keep it up but I figured I'd share it here. Let me know if you dig it and if I should keep posting it here in addition to the Monday podcast....

I love that riff. It's a great way to flirt btw major and minor blues as well.

I've been loving your clips Mark. Keep em coming.
:)

Thanks! If I can keep up the pace we'll have two a week although the monday one might also have gear demos or other guitar related stuff. We also have a monthly live webcast with Tom Harkenrider hosting...next week Deke Dickerson will be around and I'm hoping to steal a lick from him for my blog :)

• Members

It's funny, I learned Johnny B Goode this week for my band and this is that signature lick that starts the studio version. I just thought of it as a combination of major and minor pentatonic scales. It's primarily mixing the major and minor third, which you are sliding into each time. Chuck lives on that.

It's funny, I learned Johnny B Goode this week for my band and this is that signature lick that starts the studio version. I just thought of it as a combination of major and minor pentatonic scales.

It's just a handful of notes that can be analyzed a couple of different ways. Thats part of the beauty of music is that sometimes we just need to hit on the right way of organizing this information in a way that makes it most usable to us as individuals. :)

Yeah to be honest, when I heard you play it, my ear said "OH! that's what that is!"

I'm going through a ton of that right now...I've been delving more and more into the jump blues style from my more rock and Albert King influenced sound and every time I find one of those little nuggets the light bulb goes off over my head....

• Members

I'm going through a ton of that right now...I've been delving more and more into the jump blues style from my more rock and Albert King influenced sound and every time I find one of those little nuggets the light bulb goes off over my head....

Very cool. Yeah this one Chuck Berry song has actually taught me a whole lot. Sliding (and fretting) into that major third is just a powerful tool. I haven't had a chance to experiment much with it. Do you think that style of honky tonk major/minor pentatonic would work well on an aggressive blues song like Pride and Joy?

Very cool. Yeah this one Chuck Berry song has actually taught me a whole lot. Sliding (and fretting) into that major third is just a powerful tool. I haven't had a chance to experiment much with it. Do you think that style of honky tonk major/minor pentatonic would work well on an aggressive blues song like Pride and Joy?

Absolutely. I was trying to find a good example of that sort of thing in my Youtube channel and couldn't find exactly what you are talking about but I did find this one, which I had totally forgotten about...hopefully the audio isn't too bad but I spend a lot of time playing partial chord ideas of all types and relating my ideas to the harmony that I'm playing over...hitting the changes in a blues is really helpful sometimes to taking a longer solo somewhere...

[video=youtube;VkA06XdNwT8]

Thanks for posting that. Great playing. I've been in generic minor pentatonic prisonhell for a long time. This thing is a huge breath of fresh air. It's country/honky tonk sounding in a good way.

Thanks! Check this stuff out and see if it gives you any ideas:

12 Bar Blues Lesson #1- Chord Progression

12 Bar Blues Lesson #2 - 3 phrase melodic structure, 1st Verse and Solo #1

12 Bar Blues Lesson #3 - Intro, Stop Breaks band 2nd solo

12 Bar Blues Lesson #4 - Wrapping it up and giving it an ending!

Using Major and Minor Pentatonic Scales to play through Blues Chord Changes

Using 3rds and 7th as Guide Tones for Blues

Let me know if you have any questions!

• Members

Thanks! Check this stuff out and see if it gives you any ideas:

Let me know if you have any questions!

Yeah very helpful. I don't have my guitar with me atm so I am just absorbing what I can with my ear. You speak about question and answer phrases, and it sounds like the major pentatonic is used for the question (it's less dissonant/nasty?), and a more minor pentatonic phrase for the answer statement. It's as if the minor pentatonic builds up tension which is released on the chord change. Am I hearing that theme?

Also what did you do on the 5 chord? It sounds like you switched to D minor pentatonic, but 867 on the small E string doesn't make sense in that context.

Yeah very helpful. I don't have my guitar with me atm so I am just absorbing what I can with my ear. You speak about question and answer phrases, and it sounds like the major pentatonic is used for the question (it's less dissonant/nasty?), and a more minor pentatonic phrase for the answer statement. It's as if the minor pentatonic builds up tension which is released on the chord change. Am I hearing that theme?

Also what did you do on the 5 chord? It sounds like you switched to D minor pentatonic, but 867 on the small E string doesn't make sense in that context.

Not so much...it's more the major pentatonic on the I chord and minor pentatonic on the IV chord. The V chord on that is a Freddy King lick that I stole from somewhere that is realy just a chromatic connection of the 3rd and 4th in the minor pentatonic...

• Members

Not so much...it's more the major pentatonic on the I chord and minor pentatonic on the IV chord. The V chord on that is a Freddy King lick that I stole from somewhere that is realy just a chromatic connection of the 3rd and 4th in the minor pentatonic...

Ah OK, that makes perfect sense, major pentatonic on the 1, minor on the 4.

I was thinking on the 5 chord you were switching to something D7 related cause it sounds so good. I've never seen a lick like that. An unusual lick in G7 on the D7 chord, eh. Hm.

Archived