Hagstrom Viking Deluxe Tremar: Pickups

zinzin

• Members

i now have my hagstrom viking deluxe tremar over 1 year and really like the guitar. it "almost" became my main guitar. i love the playability of the neck, the wonderfully adjustable action, the look, even the tremolo gets used from time to time and it stays in tune very well.

but the pickups do sound a bit to modern and farty on the low strings with distortion for my taste. i like the sound of a gibson ES335, should i go for the gibson classic 57 humbuckers or what would you suggest? or what do YOU think about the hagstrom pickups?

btw, i play through a orange tiny terror or a vox ac15 c1 and use looooots of pedals.

• Members

I had 2 Swede's and changed the electronics completely,none of the pots worked very well either. I put new pots and some GFS Dream 180's in and wow was it a nice change and it sounded great. I have no experience with the Viking though....

Fam1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Some people really like Hagstrom's new pickups but I couldn't bond with them in my Viking. Otherwise the guitar is stellar. I couldn't decide on P90's, buckers or single coils so I went with a set of Seymour Duncan P-Rails and a bunch of push-pull pots so I got them all in one! New pups will make a huge difference.

• Members

Some people really like Hagstrom's new pickups but I couldn't bond with them in my Viking.

i find the hagstrom pickups to heavy rock sounding and on the low strings they fart ... i can't get clear overdriven tones out of my several amps when playing on the first 3 frets of the low E string.

that's why i want to change the pickups. maybe some gibson 57 humbuckers ...

Archived