N vintage GD

MarkBastable

• Members

I don't know much about Grecos but that's a beautiful instrument. If it plays half as well as it looks then ... um ... where am I going with this thought? Then it looks twice as good as it plays (or something). Congrats. I'll take it off your hands if you ever feel you've had enough of it :)

• Members

That is a high end and pretty rare guitar, it needs nothing apart from playing.

@#!*% Mark, she's @#!*% gorgeous and if that's definitely a solid top with a 150 model number she's probbaly a high end special order, and that top is
:love:

Mark Fletcher would stick that straight in his Not For Sale section I reckon, around those years there were 180s and 240s, so at a wild guess that might be a two piece back?

Oh, I know you are right about many people liking it. I just differ because I don't like that yellowing. It's actually cheap plastic. They can now make plastic that doesn't yellow. It costs a bit more but it keeps it colour a lot longer than the type of product that is used for pickup rings and most pickguards. I know it shows it is more vintage but that holds no value for me. I prefer quality and while the rest of the guitar is exceptional, that old style plastic is about the cheapest you can get nowadays and looks it..........IMHO.

• Members

Oh, I know you are right about many people liking it. I just differ because I don't like that yellowing. It's actually cheap plastic. They can now make plastic that doesn't yellow. It costs a bit more but it keeps it colour a lot longer than the type of product that is used for pickup rings and most pickguards. I know it shows it is more vintage but that holds no value for me. I prefer quality and while the rest of the guitar is exceptional, that old style plastic is about the cheapest you can get nowadays and looks it..........IMHO.

Fair enough. In fact, that yellowing is exactly what I like about it. If it were still pristine white I wouldn't be anything like as interested. To me, it's not cheap. It's redolent of a time before home computers, phones in pockets and thrash metal. It's the equivalent of the green patina on an old copper kettle, or - perhaps more precisely - the yellowing of the pages of a foxed hardback book. It's an unfakeable reminder that this guitar had been things and done places.

...see, I'm a soppy romantic at heart.

• Members

Fair enough. In fact, that yellowing is exactly what I like about it. If it were still pristine white I wouldn't be anything like as interested. To me, it's not cheap. It's redolent of a time before home computers, phones in pockets and thrash metal. It's the equivalent of the green patina on an old copper kettle, or - perhaps more precisely - the yellowing of the pages of a foxed hardback book. It's an unfakeable reminder that this guitar had been things and done places.

...see, I'm a soppy romantic at heart.

Yes, you're right. Maybe someday, I'll change my view on it; who knows.

• Members

To update on the pickups, having played with the thing for a week....

I said they were 'precise'. They are. They're so precise they're almost unforgiving. They make it much more difficult to bluff hamfisted fingering than, say, the Bare Knuckles I put on the Gibson Les Paul.

But I am in love. Unfortunately, I'm in love with the Studio too. I feel vaguely unfaithful.

• Members

I'm presuming the OP meant it had a solid flamed maple top unlike the veneer maple on the lower models, and back off with mahogany as per the usual LP formula

That is what I meant, but I was taking the word of my mate who first turned me onto it. I'm not that knowledgeable about the intimate construction of guitars, to be honest.

Maybe someone can interpret this for me...

5347700069_97854c0070_b.jpg

It looks to me as if there's no veneer on the top, but that line suggests that the back is a separate piece of wood.

I haven't weighed the guitar, but the guy who sold it to me - who was very thorough and straight - reckons it weighs a little under 11lb.

• Moderators

5347700069_97854c0070_b.jpg

It looks to me as if there's no veneer on the top, but that line suggests that the back is a separate piece of wood.

I haven't weighed the guitar, but the guy who sold it to me - who was very thorough and straight - reckons it weighs a little under 11lb.

Just under 11?:cry: Crikey that s a heavy un:)

Yes, that is classic LP construction, a maple cap on a mahogany back, and looking at the end grain on the cap, there does seem to be some tie with the end grain and the grain on the top, so I'd say it's a sold top with no veneer

• Members

Actually, he said 10.9lbs , now I've looked it up. So it depends whether that .9 is a decimal fraction or the number of ounces.

Either way, when I strap on the Studio after playing the Greco, it feels as if it's floating off my midriff like a beach ball in a seaside breeze

• Members

Actually, he said 10.9lbs , now I've looked it up. So it depends whether that .9 is a decimal fraction or the number of ounces.

Either way, when I strap on the Studio after playing the Greco, it feels as if it's floating off my midriff like a beach ball in a seaside breeze

my greco custom is about the same weight....usually I would try for a lighter Les Paul...but mine worked out really well and is fairly resonant for being so heavy. As I mentioned before....I know what you mean about the precision of the pickups. Mine are like that too. I've got a 57 classic and a SD alnico pro II in my Orville...and while they sound awesome....they are not as defined as the pickups in my Greco. It's really quite amazing when you get the gain up there...they just keep holding it together.

Fugigen...(the factory that made your guitar and pickups...) really knew what they were doing

Archived