Myth or Fact?!

samzadgan

• Members

You need a guitar with a long scale length (eg 25" +) for down tuned metal.

when I say down tune, I'm talking tuning to C or B or Drop B etc.

Up until yesterday i believe one thing was fact...but from some feedback, I'm starting to doubt it...so right now, I'm really confused!

• Members

All you need is large core strings and you can down tune any guitar.

http://www.juststrings.com/ghselectricguitarbigcore.html

the strings are designed to be tuned lower and wont be so flabby bacause the

core wires of the wound strings are thicker.

You do have to set a guitar up for thicker diameter strings which

means cutting the nut, saddles depending on the bridge type, setting up the truss

and reintonating the instrument. Still better off just buying a baratone guitar though.

• Members

All you need is large core strings and you can down tune any guitar.

the strings are designed to be tuned lower and wont be so flabby bacause the

core wires of the wound strings are thicker.

You do have to set a guitar up for thicker diameter strings which

means cutting the nut, saddles depending on the bridge type, setting up the truss

and reintonating the instrument. Still better off just buying a baratone guitar though.

So basically your saying its a Myth, but its better to have a baratone...?

• Members

So basically your saying its a Myth, but its better to have a baratone...?

I think he's saying it's possible....but easier if you just go with an instrument that's designed to be to tuned that low....

• Members

Myth.

Brendon Small of Dethklok fame plays explorers and LPs and he tunes down to C standard :rawk:

Amon Amarth play explorers and Im pretty sure they tune to C standard too.

Theres a Foo Fighters song- Stacked Actors - which is played in drop A on gibson scale guitars.

• Members

You can play lower tunings with shorter scale instruments (many people don't realize that Glenn Campbell played the solo on "Wichita Lineman", with a Fender Jaguar [which has a 24" scale neck] tuned down to C, instead of a Baritone). I keep my Danelectro MOD 7, 7-string tuned to Drop Ab, and its scale length is 25". Gibson's 7-strings (which they make on occasion) have 24.75" scale lengths. Heavier strings do help to alleviate loose tension/floppy feel. But past a certain point, larger diameter strings can become problematic due issues with getting guitars with shorter scale necks to intonate properly (mainly when tuned below A). This is why many 7-string guitars, and most 8-string guitars have scale lengths longer than 25.5" Besides benefitting intonation in the lower tunings, longer scale lengths allow you to use lighter gauge strings (due to the increased tension), which may be preferrable feel-wise to heavy gauge strings. But, there is also a downside - the higher strings can often feel too stiff, and (especially if you play high up the neck) sound kind of screechy, due to the increased string tension (I used to have to deal with this issue on the Schecter Omen Extreme 7 I had, due to its 26.5" scale length). This is why some players play 7 and 8-string guitars, with fanned frets. You can set up the frets to give shorter scale lengths (with less string tension) on the high strings, while having longer scale lengths on the lower strings (where you want to avoid using super-heavy strings, but still have decent string tension).

But, in a nutshell, unless you're going to uber low tunings (a and lower), scale length will end up being a preference thing.

• Members

Myth. I have a 25.5" 8 string that's been tuned to drop E a few times. That would be the equivalent note to the low E on a bass guitar.

I also tune C standard on a 24.75" scale guitar.

The biggest problem I've found with just increasing the core or the overall gauge of the strings until it feels right is you tend to get a deeper tone the bigger the string. At a certain point that CAN be a problem, depending on what sort of tone you're going for. People in metal tend to go for brighter, higher focused tones and worry about mush-out on the lower strings if the strings get too big. Cleans or less heavily distorted/overdriven tones can sound really big and fat with bigger gauges though.

It's all about what you want to do with it.

• Members

It's all about what you want to do with it.

Thank you all for your advice...on the question above...I basically want to use this guitar for Stoner/Drone type metal.

The story basically is, i have a squier strat that i don't use, and i was going to change up the PUPs to 1 humbucker or a P90, and get the nut fixed so i can put on heavy gauge string (in the range of 50-60's)...but then the guy at the guitar shop talked me out of it and said i need a mahogony body guitar, mahogony neck...and long scale neck etc...but given that he pointed me in the direction of a guitar he had in the shop, i got a bit suspicious as to his motives. I dont doubt that the wood of the guitar makes a difference, and the set neck would help also, but i could probably pickup a second hand LP or SG much cheaper than the guitar his talking about...which then lead me to asking the question on this thread!

• Members

Thank you all for your advice...on the question above...I basically want to use this guitar for Stoner/Drone type metal.

The story basically is, i have a squier strat that i don't use, and i was going to change up the PUPs to 1 humbucker or a P90, and get the nut fixed so i can put on heavy gauge string (in the range of 50-60's)...but then the guy at the guitar shop talked me out of it and said i need a mahogony body guitar, mahogony neck...and long scale neck etc...but given that he pointed me in the direction of a guitar he had in the shop, i got a bit suspicious as to his motives. I dont doubt that the wood of the guitar makes a difference, and the set neck would help also, but i could probably pickup a second hand LP or SG much cheaper than the guitar his talking about...which then lead me to asking the question on this thread!

Nah, it'll be fine for that. You may not get that classic Stoner Rock/Metal SG tone, but other than that, it'll play just fine, as long as you set it up properly.

• Members

Nah, it'll be fine for that. You may not get that classic Stenor Metal SG tone, but other than that, it'll play just fine, as long as you set it up properly.

Cool...because I have put my squier up for sale...with the view of buying the guitar in the shop. But i really want the LTD Viper 256 Vintage, and it should fit the bill then

Archived