Love is Kinda Spooky

Beck

• Members

I had the same problem for years.   Part of it for me was, in addition to finding them to be so fun, was me believing that I could be the one to "fix" them or settle them down somewhat.  Finally there was this one psycho chick who I couldn't get rid of.  After battling around in a relationship with her for 3-4 years that never improved and finally being able to make my escape I realized I had finally overcome my addiction.

Like any other addiction, I think you have to hit rock bottom first.  But you've admitted you have a problem, and that's the first step!

• Members

guido61 wrote:

I had the same problem for years.   Part of it for me was, in addition to finding them to be so fun, was me believing that I could be the one to "fix" them or settle them down somewhat.  Finally there was this one psycho chick who I couldn't get rid of.  After battling around in a relationship with her for 3-4 years that never improved and finally being able to make my escape I realized I had finally overcome my addiction.

Like any other addiction, I think you have to hit rock bottom first.  But you've admitted you have a problem, and that's the first step!

:) 3-4 years... wow! 

I think I'm too old to overcome my addiction.  I've hit rock bottom many times, but each time the way I climb out is on Rapunzel's hair.  But I like to say rock 'n roll bottom, 'cause aren't we pretty much living the lyrics to the songs we all grew up with?  I can't think of were else I could have gotten these ideas about what love is.  I've never even read a romantic novel in all me life!

Wonder why the most interesting and prettiest ones are so messed up relationship wise.  And when I say relationship I mean relationships with everyone.  I always find girls that can't get along with anyone in the long term... family, coworkers, friends.  At first I listen to them and feel sorry that they've had it so rough, and then I realize someday they'll be talking about me too with their next boyfriend or whoever will listen. 

But I've known that for years... sometimes I just forget everything I know for a little while and then it all comes back.  I just know if all her ex's were crazy, someday you'll be crazy too.  Oh well hell... we're artists.  Finding someone who's just normal enough, but just crazy enough is impossible.  I've had fun trying and again, think of all the great songs that would have never been written were things not as they are.  I mean hell, there would have been no Eagles and no Chicago at all!  No AC/DC either... no Billy Joel, no Elton John.   All we'd have is Phil Collins and Kanye West... and of course Christian Rock because they avoid the issue entirely.

I guess I'd rather be crazy from all this than be bored.  I'm not bored that's for sure and I thank God for that.  Oops, I mean I thank Eve for that.

• Members

I look for little things. If something is a little wrong, it will only get worse. As a result, I don't end up with psycho women - unless they are psycho for me.

My last marital decision was made on a brunch date. She asked me to get her a cup of coffee. I did. We had a nice meal. And I never spoke to her again, even though she often tried to get in touch.

I married a woman who would never ask me to get her a cup of coffee.

Interestingly, my brunch date ended up working at a place across from a restaurant I own. She sms'd me this summer. She still has no clue what went wrong.

• Members

I learned early on (in my mid-20's) about avoiding the crazy ones...   I fell for a beautiful girl who (I found out later) had been diagnosed as schizophrenic as a child.  While the drama and angst of that relationship fueled a lot of music writing, including some of what I consider my best songs, the cost was overwhelming. 

I believe a lot of the problem, for US women in particular, is that they have no real lives beyond hunting for a man to complete them.  It is the 'Barbie' cultural icon in the US for women to believe that snagging the right guy will make everything better and lead to lifelong happiness.  As a result many (maybe most) have no interests in their lives beyond makeup, dating, and 'the chase'.  These people are clingy, needy, insecure, and controlling.  It's pretty sad...

• Members

Etienne Rambert wrote:

I look for little things. If something is a little wrong, it will only get worse. As a result, I don't end up with psycho women - unless they are psycho for me.

My last marital decision was made on a brunch date. She asked me to get her a cup of coffee. I did. We had a nice meal. And I never spoke to her again, even though she often tried to get in touch.

I married a woman who would never ask me to get her a cup of coffee.

Interestingly, my brunch date ended up working at a place across from a restaurant I own. She sms'd me this summer. She still has no clue what went wrong.

Have you ever done the online dating things, like match.com, eHarmony and all that.  I never have because I thought, well, I believe in destiny, not 29 points of compatibility and all that crap.  However, giving some more thought, destiny could come from anywhere I suppose.  I have a good friend who met his current wife on one of those sites and it worked out just peachy.   But anyway, more than one person has told me those are more like hookup places... meat markets, and its more an underworld of screwing around, which is not what I've been looking for.  It just doesn't appeal to me if that's all it is. 

Archived