Anyone have any experience with EJ Custom Neck or Humbucker from Hell?

mparsons

• Members

I'm looking to get a new neck pickup for the Horizon. The '59 sounds good but it doesn't really sound the way I would like it to.

Does anyone have any experience with the EJ Custom Neck ( DP211 )? The description is pretty nice but the output is 178, compared to the Evolution's 404. The Humbucker from Hell has a similar description and is a little higher output, so its another option.

And of course, there is the well-recommended PAF Pro.

I'm looking for a very clear, bright, glassy sound, without being thin or weak. For cleans, the closer to a piano it sounds, the better.

Thanks!

• Members

The EJ has been described as Gretsch-ish by many of the folks I've talked to about it, and that would seem to be more along the lines of what you'd like, rather than the HFH which might be painfully bright in the maple neck-through.

Cool! Hate to sound ignorant, but what is Gretsch-y sounding?

• Members

I don't know anything about the EJ or HFH, but I did have a PAF Pro in a mahogany bodied, maple topped Ibanez Prestige RG. Definitely not glassy or particularly clear sounding, very bland and flat actually. As someone who likes Strats and semi-hollows which are both pretty clear sounding, the PAF Pro (and that guitar) didn't cut it.

• Members

The Humbucker from Hell is very low output and does not sound overly bright at all. Had one in the neck position of a Gibson Les paul XPL, and some Hamers. Excelllent pickup for what you are describing. I used it when I was doing more Jazz Fusion gigs, and it had type of Flutey liquid lead that I needed.

• Members

Got a Humbucker from Hell and a Tone Zone on the Feb spam list. HFH is alright, cleans were nice. I just didn't care for the combo in my Explorer.

Yeah, I had a Air Zone/HFH combo in my Les Paul. Ripped them both out and installed covered Dimarzio PAF Classics. The Air Zone was a'ight, but the HFH just didn't do so that well in a mahogany guitar, IMO. It was nice for cleans but lacking for anything with overdrive.

• Members

The Humbucker from Hell is very low output and does not sound overly bright at all. Had one in the neck position of a Gibson Les paul XPL, and some Hamers. Excelllent pickup for what you are describing. I used it when I was doing more Jazz Fusion gigs, and it had type of Flutey liquid lead that I needed.

Thanks! I'll post some clips of the EJ Custom when I get it, hopefully it'll suit what I want.

• 3 years later...

Archived