Nobody actually uses off-brand guitars

bluesnapper

• Members

You tell me. We all know from previous threads that you hate Agiles and most non-American made guitars. You implied that Agiles are somehow inferior in your response. Personally I cant play any one guitar over and over again. I get bored with it. So I try something else for a while. Doesnt mean the old guitar "doesnt work" And for the record Ive never owned an Agile and never will. I dont like the neck specs, or the ugly headstocks. Im not an "Agile person"

Oh and I never said Eric Clapton will never play a Gibson again. You know what I meant. Dont be a child. Everone knows hes known for playing Strats like 90% of the time.

I don't hate most non-American made guitars. I hate Chinese made guitars on principle and most Korean stuff is just such low quality that it warrants equal treatment.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He used them for 2 years - if they didn't work he would have moved on sooner.

It doesn't have to do with 'Agile people' Mr 2 dB is scooped.

Floyd Roses worked fine for me for 25+ years but I hardly pick up a guitar with a Floyd now.

Any LOGICAL brain would HAVE to realize that sometimes tastes/preferences change and it has nothing to do with 'working' or 'not working'.

When I stopped playing Ibanez, it was because they stopped working for me. Both from a physical perspective that my hand hates Wizard necks, and from the perspective of not supporting slave labor. Neither of those work for me. When I moved on from quilted maple tops, it was because they stopped working for me. I just couldn't stand looking at them anymore. Neither event made my previous brand "suck", it just made them something that didn't work for me anymore.

• Members

i have lower expectations of people when i see them play Fenders and Gibsons exclusively. it means, to me, they just accepted what was out there and didn't really think about it. this mindset comes directly as a result of idiots coming up to me after shows and saying, "man you sounded great. but you should play a LP/strat instead of your PRS/Ric/Ibanez. you'd really smoke then!" i don't have time for idiots or their McGear.

Wait, how is playing a PRS/Ric/Ibanez not just accepting what's out there?

• Members

When I stopped playing Ibanez, it was because they stopped working for me. Both from a physical perspective that my hand hates Wizard necks, and from the perspective of not supporting slave labor. Neither of those work for me. When I moved on from quilted maple tops, it was because they stopped working for me. I just couldn't stand looking at them anymore. Neither event made my previous brand "suck", it just made them something that didn't work for me anymore.

Ok...I'll email him and ask "do they still work for you but you just don't use them now or do they not work for you?"

You're arguing a point and then changing the point to semantics.:facepalm:

• Members

Wait, how is playing a PRS/Ric/Ibanez not just accepting what's out there?

i dunno, but when i try to explain to those idiots that those are major brands, they tell me i'm wrong and that anything outside of Gibson and Fender is an "off-brand". so i'm just going with it and using their illogical argument against them.

• Members

i dunno, but when i try to explain to those idiots that those are major brands, they tell me i'm wrong and that anything outside of Gibson and Fender is an "off-brand". so i'm just going with it and using their illogical argument against them.

best quote my friend got after playing a show with his Firebird, "thats a sweet Jazzmaster!" :facepalm:

• Members

I live in the arse end of nowhere in the UK; small town, but still I'd expect to see more variation than I do, especially when it's really simple to buy guitars online. But it's Teles, Strats, the odd SG, very rarely an LP, and the rest are Ibanez/Jackson/Dean type things. Can't wait to get a new band together in the next few months and get out there, mainly cos it's great fun, but I'd be bull{censored}ting terribly if there wasn't a small part of me that wants to have people tell me how they like my Fender when I take my Schecter tele out to play. :lol:

• Members

I've never met a fan so obstinate as you describe, but I suppose I'm not really the type to care either. I could see such an interaction with something like a Suhr - because, frankly, they do look like off-brand copies :lol: - but it just seems unlikely with something so ubiquitous and iconic as a Ric or Ibanez. That in mind, the 'McGear' comment just seems amusingly inappropriate. Hey, maybe it's just me.

• Members

I've never met a fan so obstinate as you describe, but I suppose I'm not really the type to care either. I could see such an interaction with something like a Suhr - because, frankly, they do look like off-brand copies
:lol:
- but it just seems unlikely with something so ubiquitous and iconic as a Ric or Ibanez. That in mind, the 'McGear' comment just seems amusingly inappropriate. Hey, maybe it's just me.

i find the entire thing ridiculous. what kind of asshole tells somebody that their gear sucks at their show? who cares what they're playing? if they enjoyed the music, then the gear did it's job. and if they didn't enjoy the music, chances are it's not because they play X guitar instead of Y. people are idiots.

• Members

I see all kinds of gear here in the live music capital of the world. Sorry your town is so boring. Maybe move?

Same here in Albuquerque. I would say about 50% of performers use something from Fender or Gibson - the other 50% use just about everything else. In terms of what is selling, my local music store buddies do say that most people want Fender, Gibson or Ibanez.

• Members

People follow fashion, and young people (who populate most bands) are very fashion-conscious. That is, they wouldn't be caught dead in clothing that was outside the expectations for coolness of their peers/audience.

And young guys especially want to have gear that's cool, as defined by their peers and as played up by gear marketers.

Audiences don't know much about gear and don't give a {censored} as long as it looks and sounds good and goes with the clothes/vibe.

So a lot of the insistence on name brand gear ("name brand" = marketing) is simply not wanting to get cut out as an uncool dork. It often has little to do with relative performance/quality issues between Name brand and off brand.

I have Gibsons (ES 137 and 64 SG Jr) and Agiiles (AS820 and P90 Harm). I prefer to play the Agiles. My friend Pat Coast (posts mainly on CJ) is a killer professional player, bought an Agile LP clone and loves it - plays out on it all the time. He's self-confident enough not to care what other people think about it.

• Members

Like when I saw Scott Pilgrim Vs the World and realised that one guy was playing a Epiphone SG- I immediately thought to myself- ew, couldnt he play
something
better?

Actually, more like how did Scott Pilgrim having a Rickenbacker make any sense at all?

I've gigged Fender, Daisy Rock, and Squier guitars all about the same. They all sound good to me and they're all very pretty and nice and yet, I get the least compliments when I play my Fender because the only people who recognize them as superior are other musicians, and they're a bitter lot.

Musicians are basically haters, I find. They get so jealous and uppity that you have a decent band and they don't. They're not gonna give you an ounce of credit over having money for a decent Fender and normal people don't give a {censored}.

• Members

Actually, more like how did Scott Pilgrim having a Rickenbacker make any sense at all?

I've gigged Fender, Daisy Rock, and Squier guitars all about the same. They all sound good to me and they're all very pretty and nice and yet, I get the least compliments when I play my Fender because the only people who recognize them as superior are other musicians, and they're a bitter lot.

Musicians are basically haters, I find. They get so jealous and uppity that you have a decent band and they don't. They're not gonna give you credit over some decent Fender.

Product placement. My bass player bought one.

• Members

What I'm saying is that a real life Scott Pilgrim wouldn't have a Rickenbacker because:

1) Scott says it's his brother's bass. Nobody lets their little wimpy brother, who can at best sorta play, borrow a Rickenbacker.

2) Scott just leaves it for that other guy to just take and play. No dude, no matter how lame, lets a Rickenbacker bass out of his sight.

3) No dude would let his wimpy little brother just gift someone HIS Rickenbacker.

People {censored}ing baby their Ric basses. You know that. As a musician, I would have like to seen something more reasonable in his hands, a beat up Fender P-Bass would have made far more sense.

• Members

What I'm saying is that a real life Scott Pilgrim wouldn't have a Rickenbacker because:

1) Scott says it's his brother's bass. Nobody lets their little wimpy brother, who can at best sorta play, borrow a Rickenbacker.

2) Scott just leaves it for that other guy to just take and play. No dude, no matter how lame, lets a Rickenbacker bass out of his sight.

3) No dude would let his wimpy little brother just gift someone HIS Rickenbacker.

People {censored}ing baby their Ric basses. You know that. As a musician, I would have like to seen something more reasonable in his hands, a beat up Fender P-Bass would have made far more sense.

it's ok. it's just a movie.

• Members

Yeah, but on the other hand, look at the people they worked with to get that movie to be what it is. They took quite a bit of care to get a lot of details right and did a lot to satisfy indie fans, you know. I mean, the look and sound of the other bands and such, it's very much what you'd expect and is quite authentic in that sense. The whole thing is inspired by a girl indie pop band from Canada, their music is all over the soundtrack. Isn't it Metric that's actually playing as that one other band? I'm just saying, the Ric makes Scott look like a spoiled trust fund baby, as I tend to think of when I see some 20-something with a $2500 instrument they don't take care of. Just didn't like that choice at all. I'd rather see an Epi in his hands, would have made me like his character more.

• Members

Yep, Canada has a lot of cool bands. Some of my favorites were involved in that whole Scott Pilgrim project: Broken Social Scene, Plumtree, Metric. I'm not exactly a Sloan fan but they were involved as well, and I'm always raving about Leslie Feist, I'm not a fan of her music personally, but I really like her sound and I like her loose guitar jammy stuff. There is great music all over the world, as long as you don't try to have one standard for good like (cough) some people on the board (cough) try to have.

• Members

Yep, Canada has a lot of cool bands. Some of my favorites were involved in that whole Scott Pilgrim project: Broken Social Scene, Plumtree, Metric. I'm not exactly a Sloan fan but they were involved as well, and I'm always raving about Leslie Feist, I'm not a fan of her music personally, but I really like her sound and I like her loose guitar jammy stuff. There is great music all over the world, as long as you don't try to have one standard for good like (cough) some people on the board (cough) try to have.

Sloan is the only band i interviewed BITD that were utter douchebags and i still like their music.

• Members

Yeah, but on the other hand, look at the people they worked with to get that movie to be what it is. They took quite a bit of care to get a lot of details right and did a lot to satisfy indie fans, you know. I mean, the look and sound of the other bands and such, it's very much what you'd expect and is quite authentic in that sense. The whole thing is inspired by a girl indie pop band from Canada, their music is all over the soundtrack. Isn't it Metric that's actually playing as that one other band? I'm just saying, the Ric makes Scott look like a spoiled trust fund baby, as I tend to think of when I see some 20-something with a $2500 instrument they don't take care of. Just didn't like that choice at all. I'd rather see an Epi in his hands, would have made me like his character more.

Whats ironic is when I was in HS everyone played Rics or Modulus, or both, one guy. No one could afford a jazz bass etc and there was no squier.

Archived