Can you please teach me on how Sweet Child O Mine sounds 'circus' like?

zabrak

• Members

when I listen to slash, I hear a player that never really sounded like he progressed past all the regular riff and licks about a third year player would learn. don't get me wrong, slash got really good at making that stuff sound fluid and polished but most of it still sounds infantile and juvenile as if he learned everything he knows in the first three years and then spent decides polishing it so it didn't sound so hokey .

When I listen to Slash I hear a guy that made great decisions, understands image and marketing better than any other pop musician I can think of, and was the only one in the biggest band of the late 80's able to leverage that into something more. I wish I was half as smart and driven as him.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

my memory is very fuzzy, but I SEEM to remember first hearing that riff and instantly thinking Slash might have taken inspiration from some other tune...I can't remember what it was, probably some 80's metal or rock band...

• Members

When I listen to Slash I hear a guy that made great decisions, understands image and marketing better than any other pop musician I can think of, and was the only one in the biggest band of the late 80's able to leverage that into something more. I wish I was half as smart and driven as him.

If you can "hear" all that, just by listening to slash, you should probably go see a shrink.

• Members

He's just playing arpeggios at the 12th fret of the verse cords... D, C, G, D. Hardly revolutionary, but instantly recognizable and a creative way of playing a chord progression that had not been done before.

He's not playing arps of the progression at all. It's not even that complex. It's the same repeated riff, over and over, with only the root changing. He's not spelling out any kind of arp, he's just riffing inside the blues box using mostly octaves. D,D,A,G,G,A,F#,A. On each repetition only the first note changes to reflect the chord being played under it. D to E to G.

• Members

My take on this subject is that music is an art, not a science. The value of art is determined by other people liking your creation. A lot of people liked Slash's creation. Thus, he is a great artist. How many other people like your musical creations.

• Members

He's not playing arps of the progression at all. It's not even that complex. It's the same repeated riff, over and over, with only the root changing. He's not spelling out any kind of arp, he's just riffing inside the blues box using mostly octaves. D,D,A,G,G,A,F#,A. On each repetition only the first note changes to reflect the chord being played under it. D to E to G.

We'll have to look at it differently then.... I've never looked it as a "blues box" type thing.

the D is the root of the D chord

the E is the 2nd of the C chord

the G is the root of the G chord

He is outlying the chord shapes at the 12th fret. Do you think he is just changing the first note in line with the chord changes by coincidence and gets lucky to hit notes that are part of the chords? I've always thought of it as just playing a D (sus4), C (add 9), and G at the 12 fret. Very similar to what Page plays in the opening of "Thank You".

• Members

Do you think he is just changing the first note in line with the chord changes by coincidence and gets lucky to hit notes that are part of the chords?

Yes. Especially if you take a minute to read Slash's own explanation of how the song was written. You're putting way more thought into analyzing it than they put into writing it. Riff came first. Chord progression came after, and was Izzy, not Slash.

He wasn't outlining chords, he was playing a mindless 4 note string skipping exercise and Izzy slipped chords under it. You can overanalyze it after the fact, but it's really not as complex as you give it credit for. Even Slash thinks the riff is mindless and embarrassing. Me? I love it, I felt my first boobie to that song.

• Members

So, perhaps the chord progression came from the riff. I don't really think there is a lot of thought involved in seeing how the single line notes match up the chords being played and vice versa. It is why it works musically and would not work if a F was substituted for the F# or a G# for the G. :confused:

• Members

I've never looked it as a "blues box" type thing.

The entire riff is an e pentatonic minor box at the 12th fret, shape wise. Tonally, it's D major, but it's still that all so familiar box at the 12th fret many of us use in E minor. (E dorian = D major, which is why the shapes are so similar)

• Members

I don't really think there is a lot of thought involved in
seeing how the single line notes match up the chords being played and vice versa.

But they don't! It's an ostinato, not an arpeggiation.

You're over analyzing, man. Which is fine, as long as you realize you're digging deeper than they ever did writing it.

• Members

If you can "hear" all that, just by listening to slash, you should probably go see a shrink.

If I say, 'When I listen to Slash I'm hearing a guy that....' does it make it easier for you to understand? Or if I just say 'I think Slash is a guy that...' can you follow? Let me know if I need to do anything more to bring it down enough for you to work with.

• Members

For centuries, people have argued that Mozart's composition are much loftier than Beethoven's crudities. Of course, others, who prefer Beethoven's compositions, have argued that Mozart's piano sonatas sound like boring finger exercises. Do these same types of arguments begin to sound familiar to anybody?

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not trying to compare Slash's composition skills to Mozart, Beethoven or even Ritchie Blackmore. I can hear in Slash's compositions that he didn't reach into the advanced level with his scale studies. Yet, Slash has an ability to interject feeling into his playing that reaches people.

The first time I heard Slash's calliope-riff intro to SCOM, I lol. But, he sure does sell it at the lead break. It certainly makes for a distinctive rock song. Unfortunately, it's been played to death.

I like Beethoven and Mozart. I wouldn't want to have to choose between them.

I like Blackmore. I like Slash. I appreciate the original G 'n' R brand of sleaze rock. Of course, I respect anyone's right to hate it, but don't try to invalidate the personal music preferences of somebody else just because you hate a band.

Music is music. Some appreciate a wider variety. Others prefer a more narrow scope. Many people like punk while other don't. Jazz is exciting to some while others find it to be boring, self indulgent wankery. To each their own. There's no accounting for taste.

• Members

For centuries, people have argued that Mozart's composition are much loftier than Beethoven's crudities. Of course, others, who prefer Beethoven's compositions, have argued that Mozart's piano sonatas sound like boring finger exercises. Do these same types of arguments begin to sound familiar to anybody?

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not trying to compare Slash's composition skills to Mozart, Beethoven or even Ritchie Blackmore. I can hear in Slash's compositions that he didn't reach into the advanced level with his scale studies. Yet, Slash has an ability to interject feeling into his playing that reaches people.

The first time I heard Slash's calliope-riff intro to SCOM, I lol. But, he sure does sell it at the lead break. It certainly makes for a distinctive rock song. Unfortunately, it's been played to death.

I like Beethoven and Mozart. I wouldn't want to have to choose between them.

I like Blackmore. I like Slash. I appreciate the original G 'n' R brand of sleaze rock. Of course, I respect anyone's right to hate it, but don't try to invalidate the personal music preferences of somebody else just because you hate a band.

Music is music. Some appreciate a wider variety. Others prefer a more narrow scope. Many people like punk while other don't. Jazz is exciting to some while others find it to be boring, self indulgent wankery. To each their own. There's no accounting for taste.

This.

• Members

Here's the major scale box somebody wanted. I think this is the one that allows your fingers to be in the right spot to hit all of the intro notes. I don't remember what key it was in , but this should be somewhere just past the 12 th fret. It's been a while . :o I got this from How to Play Rock And Roll / Lead Guitar Alfred Music. It's one of the first books I bought.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]346147[/ATTACH]
attachment.php?attachmentid=346147&d=133

• Members

If I say, 'When I listen to Slash I'm hearing a guy that....' does it make it easier for you to understand? Or if I just say 'I think Slash is a guy that...' can you follow? Let me know if I need to do anything more to bring it down enough for you to work with.

So, you are mad at me for poking fun at your incoherent and incohesive sentence? I was just commenting on what you said. You were the one that wrote it.

But I notice you felt you had to rewrite your sentence because it is obvious to you, after I pointed it out, that it was very poorly written and actually means something entirely different than what you meant it to say.

You don't have to hate me. I am just here to help, and I accept your appreciation in advance.

Let me know if there is anything else you need help with.

Tomorrow we will be covering two plus two.

Ill give you a hint: it doesnt spell cat.

On second thought, you should probably come in early.

And pack a lunch. It is going to be a long day.

• Members

So, you are mad at me for poking fun at your incoherent and incohesive sentence? I was just commenting on what you said. You were the one that wrote it.

But I notice you felt you had to rewrite your sentence because it is obvious to you, after I pointed it out, that it was very poorly written and actually means something entirely different than what you meant it to say.

You don't have to hate me. I am just here to help, and I accept your appreciation in advance.

Let me know if there is anything else you need help with.

Tomorrow we will be covering two plus two.

Ill give you a hint: it doesnt spell cat.

On second thought, you should probably come in early.

And pack a lunch. It is going to be a long day.

I apologize. I thought you were making a serious statement. Now I realize you were just being a dick.

Anyway, I'm sorry I was too literal for you to understand. Maybe this will help.

figure of speech

n

(Literature / Rhetoric) an expression of language in which the usual or literal meaning of a word is not employed

Archived