Radiohead tragedy

• Moderators

This is just {censored}ing utterly tragic:(

British band Radiohead are said to be "shattered" by the death of their "friend and colleague" Scott Johnson, who was killed when a stage collapsed before their show in Toronto, Canada.

The 33-year-old drum technician, from Doncaster, South Yorkshire, was setting up for the band on Saturday when the top part of the stage fell on him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18484613

_60958565_015071176-1.jpg

• Members

Wow, apparently we Canadians can't set a stage up worth a crap.

Didn't an other stage collapse last year, as well? That nearly killed people, and this one did.

I'm embarrassed and ashamed.

• Members

Didn't an other stage collapse last year, as well? That nearly killed people, and this one did.

It is the responsibility of the person or entity which hires the set-up crew. There should be inspections along the way as well.

You should see what goes on in the oilfields.

• Members

This is the reason for the brown M&M clause in Van Halen's riders back in the day. It was buried in there to make sure the promoters were reading everything since they had very specific needs for their stage setting, part of which was the weight of the stage. If they found brown M&Ms then they knew somebody didn't read the rider correctly and they went checking everything.

• Members

The Ottawa Bluesfest had a stage collapse last summer,but it was severe winds that brought it down .

No winds to blame this time 'round .

• Members

This is the reason for the brown M&M clause in Van Halen's riders back in the day. It was buried in there to make sure the promoters were reading everything since they had very specific needs for their stage setting, part of which was the weight of the stage. If they found brown M&Ms then they knew somebody didn't read the rider correctly and they went checking everything.

That's interesting.

• Members

That's interesting.

There's actually a recent video interview with Roth where he explains that. It's somewhere on YouTube. I'd link you to it, but I'm on my phone at work at the moment.

Either way... Things like that may seem silly but possibly saved Van Halen from having a tragedy like this.

• Members

they are building the stages for the MMVA's outside right now. you can bet a half dozen inspectors descended on the place the moment the radiohead stage collapsed.

that thing it was massive by the look, so many things that could have gone wrong to cause the collapse.

• Members

This is why there are Unions and "Crushing Regulation".....

So you're saying they worked, and prevented this tragedy? OKkkkkkkkk....

And back in the real world, that's really a shame. Something tricky about constructing such a huge structure overnight and only for a day, I'd imagine..

• Members

Never thought about the purpose of the M&M bit... Definitely makes sense if you think about it. I work in the scrap business, and thinking about the safety procedures we go through, especially on our crews who are mobile (not unlike a touring stage setup). I'd hope the stage techs would follow the same steps.

Mojo to those affected. That sucks.

• Members

So you're saying they worked, and prevented this tragedy? OKkkkkkkkk....

And back in the real world, that's really a shame. Something tricky about constructing such a huge structure overnight and only for a day, I'd imagine..

In the real world, hiring day laborers, construction types, etc. lead to {censored} like this. As somebody who's toured with top tier bands, you see the difference qualified personnel make, as well as arenas in states with regularly inspected (and fined..) municipalities.

There's nothing tricky about it-bigger {censored} gets put up and torn down daily without incident. Somebody {censored}ed this up.

• Members

At a restaurant I worked at years ago they would put red stickers in weird spots to see if we cleaned up properly.

So sad to hear {censored} like this..puts my seemingly bad day into perspective.

Archived