Recommendations for acoustic amp

awd83

• Members

I know this probably doesn't really go here, but I play electric guitar, and I'm installing a graphtech ghost piezo in it. To get a better tone, I'd like to buy a cheap acoustic amp, so I can run a stereo cable to by electric amp plus an acoustic.

I don't want to spend a lot of money, and I've seen some for $50 or so, like the Dean DA20, a little Ibanez, and several others going for around $50 or less on ebay. This is an experiment as much as anything, so if I like it, I may get something better. I've also thought about going to my PC for the acoustic output.

Thoughts?

• Members

For recording or live sound? Before I read that you were looking at $50 amps, I was going to suggest the Fender Acoustasonic Jr. It's what I use, but I paid something like $200 for it. I briefly had a Marshall acoustic amp that I bought used for around the same amount, and the Fender is better far and away.

• Members

You can go to any full-range amp (PA, modern bass amp, keyboard amp), but the dedicated acoustic guitar preamp/amp has the notch filter built in for feedback and usually some guitar-centric effects. The downside is, since we are talking clean, high-headroom, PA-style here, the wattage needed to play a live venue are usually higher than those for a traditional electric amps.

Personally, I love the trusty LR Baggs ParaDI preamp into a mixer or PA system.

• Members

For recording or live sound? Before I read that you were looking at $50 amps, I was going to suggest the Fender Acoustasonic Jr. It's what I use, but I paid something like $200 for it. I briefly had a Marshall acoustic amp that I bought used for around the same amount, and the Fender is better far and away.

What do you reckon to a Squier acoustic amp? I assume it'll be around the same price and quality as a little Fender amp. Couldn't offer a review for the OP, though. I've never tried one.

• Members

This is only for bedroom playing, so high wattage isn't necessary. I don't mind buying used, even a little dinged up, if I find a decent amp for the right price. The little Dean looks acceptable, but I've only found one review.

I have the Ghost preamp, so I thought PC speakers would work, but they won't keep up with my electric amp. I'm just goofing off, really, think intro of "Wanted Dead or Alive", flicking a switch and playing the electric parts.

I could possibly go up in price some, but since it's not a huge part of what I do, I don't want to spend much. I figured $50 on the used market should get me a low wattage amp to fool around with.

• Members

Keyboard amp will work, if you can't find a Fender Acoustasonic (which are nice and affordable). I recommend an acoustic pedal (like the Zoom A2) to help make it sound more realistic. I've got one, and it helps my Hamer Duotone sound like it's supposed to.

• Members

Love the Tech 21 Bronzewood 60. Gave $60 + shipping from GC $20? + tax. Usually see them for $ 200 =$300. Like electric guitar through it too. Most what I read on the Internet, I'm not supposed to like electric through an acoustic amp.

No idea about how it compares to other amps. I saw a thread in the acoustic Guitar forum a few weeks ago. Nobody mentioned my amp. :cry:

Archived