Squire Bullet Strat changed me

enuenu

• Members

Ah yes! My friend has a bullet and that thing is butter. I just went down to the local music shop yesterday and there was a Squier CV Strat and they actually put it on the rack where the "prized" instruments go. I'm telling you, that was one of thee nicest strats i've ever played. Every guitar varies! There's so many jems in unlikely places.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

fwiw, this is that same guitar in the pic before putting the humbucker in. I'm pretty sure those were gfs greybottom pickups in it when I shot this. Also noticed at the end that most of the pickguard screws are missing.
:facepalm:

That green bullet looks amazing... makes me want another one. Not good, lol.

thanks for re-posting!!

• Members

Thanks. I am really wanting to build a poor man's Corgan(esque) strat, so I am thinking the one with black hardware, then get a set of rails from GFS. Top it off with some black upgraded tuners.. I think it'd look sharp!

CACVi.jpg

not my tastes, cause i'm a classicist, but it does look sharp!

• Members

Thanks. I am really wanting to build a poor man's Corgan(esque) strat, so I am thinking the one with black hardware, then get a set of rails from GFS. Top it off with some black upgraded tuners.. I think it'd look sharp!

CACVi.jpg

not my tastes, cause i'm a classicist, but it does look sharp!

• Members

"OK. I am gonna get one. What's the best place to find one new?"

Is there room for a piece of advice here? My 'gateway drug' to cheap guitars is/was Squier Affinities, and my take on them was that some of them were dreadful, some were meh, and a few were just freaking terrific. So, I'd annoy the living shit out of the GC staff by pulling EVERY LAST ONE off the rack and playing it. Sometimes I'd play them for a few hours and still not like one enough to purchase; but then there are those times you pick up the guitar and think "holy shit, this a GREAT playing neck, looks nice ... $140?!?!? Yeah, I'll have it, thanks."

I've never regretted the time I've spent auditioning rows of Squiers ... I look at it as time I WON'T be spending later doing little fixes, etc. Given some of the examples I put down immediately, I'd be nervous about ordering via mail. Even if you're 3 hours from a GC (and I do think that's the outer limit radius these days, unless you're in northern Alaska), I'd make the trip.

Which is not to say you shouldn't make changes anyways. Yes, some of them are nice players as stock guitars, but if you're three hours and $150 from making one an *amazing* guitar, wouldn't you do it? Sure you would.

The CV necks are indeed slicker than owl shit - you best like miles of gloss if you go that route. A very nice version of this guitar is hanging up down at my local music shop, looking at me funny when I go in, whining that I won't take it home with me:

0303010509_frt_wmd_001.jpg

• Members

So, I have a Squier by Fender "Bullet Series" strat that I paid $75 and it is a great guitar actually. the only thing I don't like is it has smaller frets. This is a full-size strat, not an affinity. It has 22 frets, rosewood fingerboard and a non-plywood (but still heavy) body with a swimming pool rout. It came as SSS with a single layer pickguard. the pickups were the kind with ceramic bar magnets across the bottom. I have never even heard them because I took them off when I got it home and dropped in a GF HH prewired pickguard.

I have never really been able to figure out how old it is, but it is alot better than most squiers. It has a really big chunky neck. A really thick rosewood fingerboard. The body has that awesome "dipped in plastic" thick finish.

• Members

Is there room for a piece of advice here? My 'gateway drug' to cheap guitars is/was Squier Affinities, and my take on them was that some of them were dreadful, some were meh, and a few were just freaking terrific. So, I'd annoy the living {censored} out of the GC staff by pulling EVERY LAST ONE off the rack and playing it. Sometimes I'd play them for a few hours and still not like one enough to purchase; but then there are those times you pick up the guitar and think "holy {censored}, this a GREAT playing neck, looks nice ... $140?!?!? Yeah, I'll have it, thanks."

with all due respect, that is a waste of time. the chance that any of those Affinitys had had a proper set-up is close to zero. So trying them in GC for playability, IMO, is an exercise in futility.

these guitars are made on computer-controlled routers for the most part. the differences between them are very small. we're not talking hand-crafted guitars.

i've bought numerous Squiers from GC and other stores. They ALL needed set-ups. And they ALL played helluva lot better after those set-ups....literally like different guitars.

• Members

I wanted to paint myself a George Harrison Rocky guitar. No way was I going to paint up my American made Stratocaster, so I bought a $100 Bullet Squier. If the paint job comes out lousy, who cares? It's nothing but a $100 piece of junk guitar.

Well, paint job came out great...and then I played the guitar. WOW! There are times I A/B the Bullet with my real deal Strat and they both sound and play so wonderfully. Who knew a Squier Bullet can be a fantastic guitar? There are probably some duds (maybe most are), but there are some that are absolutely fantastic guitars. I was lucky and got one.

usethis004drk2-1.jpg

• Members

^^^ Nice job on that Rocky! Very authentic.

Yeah, I've played several very nice Bullets. Surprisingly good. Some duds here and there, yes. But I've also played MIA Fender duds. That can happen with any brand/model.

Anyways, they need more Bullet TELES!

Archived