Squire Bullet Strat changed me

enuenu

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a 2008 bullet that looks just like the cream one in the OP. i was in GC one day waiting for the douche to help me find something and picked up the strat off the the floor rack. I could not believe how well the thing played. $99 new and i'm out the door and happy.

At the time, i had just gotten a Charvel SoCal and loved it, but over a couple of months I realized that I was reaching for the bullet more. Put on a graphite nut, locking tuners and a GFS pickguard and Dimarzio super D......the next thing you know, the SoCal is for sale.

4 years later, it is still my favorite guitar. Even compared to my Gibsons and Fenders. I dont quite understand it, but the bullet is a great, great guitar

• Members

I have a 2008 bullet that looks just like the cream one in the OP. i was in GC one day waiting for the douche to help me find something and picked up the strat off the the floor rack. I could not believe how well the thing played. $99 new and i'm out the door and happy.

At the time, i had just gotten a Charvel SoCal and loved it, but over a couple of months I realized that I was reaching for the bullet more. Put on a graphite nut, locking tuners and a GFS pickguard and Dimarzio super D......the next thing you know, the SoCal is for sale.

4 years later, it is still my favorite guitar. Even compared to my Gibsons and Fenders. I dont quite understand it, but the bullet is a great, great guitar

so glad you posted this. my Bullets are close to my heart.

• Members

I'll second the notion that some cheap guitars are simply more playable. Given that I spend some time trying to record home psychedelia (which emphasizes tone quality), I won't claim they sound better (whether or not they inspire me to play better). But for just picking up and working things out, writing a song, or enjoying some silliness, I also find myself often choosing the "cheapies" over the "nicer" guitars in my collection.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I am back in Oz now and have AB'd "The Bullet" with my CS Strat. Oh no (well it's good news really), The Bullet sounds better than the CS in some respects. Maybe not quite as crystalline clear as the CS, but the bass response of The Bullet's pups is definitely punchier and more "Strat like" in tone. Positions 2 and 4 on The Bullet have more "Strat quack". It is very close to my CS Strat. You couldn't really say one is clearly better than the other tonally. They are just a little different in tone. Only other difference is my CS cost almost 20 times as much as The Bullet. Obviously is has better hardware and the wood may be more stable over time. However the whole episode has made me consider selling the CS and trying another Strat. It never blew me away from the get go considering the price. Maybe a MusicMan Strat? I heard one once that did blow me away.

• Moderators

I am back in Oz now and have AB'd "The Bullet" with my CS Strat. Oh no (well it's good news really), The Bullet sounds better than the CS in some respects. Maybe not quite as crystalline clear as the CS, but the bass response of The Bullet's pups is definitely punchier and more "Strat like" in tone. Positions 2 and 4 on The Bullet have more "Strat quack". It is very close to my CS Strat. You couldn't really say one is clearly better than the other tonally. They are just a little different in tone. Only other difference is my CS cost almost 20 times as much as The Bullet. Obviously is has better hardware and the wood may be more stable over time. However the whole episode has made me consider selling the CS and trying another Strat. It never blew me away from the get go considering the price. Maybe a MusicMan Strat? I heard one once that did blow me away.

What pickups are in that CS man?

It may not be the guitar just the pickups that could make that CS a great guitar.

I don't like the 57/62 style as much as I do the 70s pickups, (usually around 5.5l DCR) and the early 50s pickups.

• Members

What pickups are in that CS man?

It may not be the guitar just the pickups that could make that CS a great guitar.

I don't like the 57/62 style as much as I do the 70s pickups, (usually around 5.5l DCR) and the early 50s pickups.

It's got '60 pups

• Members

What sort of vintage Bullet are we talking here? Are they the recent MIC Bullet's or simply much older.

I'd really like one of these as an office guitar

the 3 Bullets i've bought were more recent MIC ones. Two of them were 2008 and one was 2009. don't know if the newest ones are just as good.

• Members

Swap in a set of CS54s...... My instinct is you'll love it then

Thanks. A tech I respect also recommended a SSS DiMarzio set (can't recall which model, 54 virtual vintages... True Velvets?).

The Bullet my son now has is a MIC, this year I guess. I did notice some variability between different examples. The one he got was gold. Played an almost identical HSS version and it was tonally nowhere near the SSS one we bought.

• Members

My first guitar was a Squier Bullet. My mom bought it for me on my birthday because I always wanted to play guitar. I was horrible. The E string was so close to the edge that it rolled off the fretboard all the time. We spent more money on repaired than the cost of the guitar. I was so glad when we traded in for a real Fender Strat.

• Members

Our Bullet has a good feel and no basic construction problems. It did however have a piece of bare wire near the jack connections that was shorting out the signal. Fixed with a bit of electrical tape. They just stripped too much insulation off the end of one of the wires prior to soldering.

Archived