Mini-humbuckers....I dig 'em!

steve_man

• Members

Okay, so on a couple of your recommendations, I checked out a couple of Gibsons with mini-humbuckers in them today. I have to say I was impressed! Tone was closer to what I get out of my Tele, but with a bit more fullness. Overdriven tones were meaty, but clear and focused...which I LIKED!

They had two that I tried...both 70's Tribute models.

First, the SG

4eb196ab.jpg

Then the LP

7b5d71d4.jpg

b3eee4fc.jpg

The tone was equally nice on both guitars. I didn't see a major difference in the two guitars sound-wise, however the LP seemed a bit darker overall. I can honestly say that for the first time, I actually liked the tone of the neck humbuckers. I usually find the neck to be far two dull sounding for my taste. I was able to get great tones in all the pickup settings.

I tried them out through a Fender Mustang IV, and then a Fender Machete (which was quite nice). Great tone!

I prefered the LP, mainly because of it's heft/weight. The SG was nice, but was so light that it felt strange. The LP comes in four finishes...goldtop, vintage burst, cherry, and silverburst. Actually really liked the goldtop. GAS may be developing here...:facepalm:

• Members

Glad you liked them. :)

That goldtop looks lovely, although I prefer pickups to have pole pieces *just because*. Your back might thank you for the SG if you have any long gigs.

Mini hums in LPs have a long and honourable tradition - Scott Gorham used one for a while in Lizzie.

• Members

I can honestly say that for the first time, I actually liked the tone of the neck humbuckers. I usually find the neck to be far two dull sounding for my taste.

One of the greatest things on the planet is a Lollar Firebird mini in the neck position. It really is incredible.

• Members

If you're in more of a budget, you should try the new DiMarzio mini-hums out. I just got the DP240/DP241 set. They are relatively low output (between an overwound single and a vintage humbucker) and have a lot of tonal options, especially with a series/parallel/split switch.

http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/mini/dimarzio-vintage-minibucker-neck-model

http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/mini/dimarzio-vintage-minibucker-bridge-model

• Members

Yeah, I like the mini's in my Ric. They are the heaviest sounding pups I have yet I can dial in a great, chimey, Ric tone. Go figure!

The lower output is a factor when "playing" the amp by driving the front-end into OD, then rolling back for cleans. I use a clean boost - it brings the level up to that of a solid bucker while retaining the mini's tone.

Archived