My first 'originals' band gig since... ages ago... tonight!

bluesnapper

• Members

I've been playing almost exclusively pub-friendly rock and blues, with a little solo acoustic work on the side for the past 6 or 7 years. I've been accompanying my singing-songwriting girlfriend on acoustic for a while now but we've just started putting a band together, playing indie-ish, folky rock/pop stuff - completely out of my comfort zone.

I'm a pretty good lead guitarist (if I may say so myself!), playing full-on, loud, in-your-face riffs etc but this restrained, subtle stuff is a new challenge - everything has to be so much more precise. It's mostly gentle lead-in licks, constrasting chord inversions, finger-picking... hell, I only get one proper solo all night!

So we're on tonight with a bunch of other folky rock acts - missus and I are opening the show with half an hour or so on our own then playing half a dozen songs with the full band later on. I'm sure it will all go swimmingly.

Anyway, it feels good to be doing something different for a change. I'm already learning a lot. Hopefully stuff to take back to the rawk band! :thu:

• Members

I enjoy playing covers. I was in a band a few years ago that started as an originals band but eventually morphed into a covers act. It was fun, but nothing compares to playing your own tunes.

It's the difference between cooking a steak, and hunting a wild steer, killing it, cleaning it, butchering it, and THEN cooking a steak. When people rock out it's a billion times more rewarding... because YOU wrote that {censored}. It's so validating and satisfying. Love it.

Good luck man!

• Members

Gig went really well! I don't have pics of my own but there were cameras there so I'll see if I can hunt some down. No clips unfortunately - I was relying on someone else to make a recording but it didn't happen in the end.

Acoustic set was a bit of a washout - my AKG transducer pick-up decided to misbehave, leading to a last-minute decision to play miked up instead. Cue massive feedback issues... had to shut me out of the monitors so I couldn't hear a note. Really must buy a proper electro-acoustic guitar...

Set with the full band went down really well though - my trusty Strat-Tuner-Wah-ValveAmp rig, miked through the PA sounded great. Balance was excellent - the sound engineer knew what he was doing (a rarity for that venue!) and - most importantly - we played pretty well. There's always a worry at a first gig that the transition from rehearsal to stage won't happen and everything falls apart in a big horrible shambles, especially after only three rehearsals. Thankfully not this time! And we broke even on the door - in fact,

Archived