Recommend me strat pickups.

grunge782

• Members

I've tried a friends strat with texas special's, but other than that I am a bit clueless.

Bridge I like to be a bit hot, middle I'm not too picky and for the neck I like it so sound very fat and glassy.

What would you guys recommend?

• Members

Sounds like Texas Specials to me....! Did you like them in your friend's Strat?

I've got a set of them and find them very versatile indeed - sure, they do the overwound 'hot' sound they're designed for but I've had lots of success playing them on a clean setting with the tone/volume pots rolled back.

Plus as they're a 'standard' pickup design they can often be had on eBay for a fair price....

• Members

Texas Specials are really good pickups, but they take some height adjustment to get to that sweet spot.

Here are a few reasonably priced pickup sets that nail that Texas Blues-type sound you describe :

Tonerider City Limits

Tonerider Classic Blues (with a $12 Fralin base plate soldered to the base if the bridge pup: gives it significantly more body and punch)

Rose Hermosas

BG Phattys

Irongear Texas Loco

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I will check out Benson and the other recommendations. I try to support the smaller companies when I can.

Burton, how does the bridge pickup on the gilbert set sound? I do like something just a little twangy, but not super twangy. Something hot, but not extremely hot.

• Members

Texas Specials are great, but there have been so many developments since those were released during the previous century. You can NOT go wrong with Jason Lollar's pickups. He understands every little nuance about pickup winding. There was a great article in May 2012 issue of Guitar and Bass (UK) Magazine. Several well known pickup gurus gave their insights on single coils including Lollar and Seymour Duncan; and I was impressed by how much real knowledge Lollar has. You have to figure that he's not giving away any of his secrets either! If you want magic pickups, go with Lollar. You can call him and talk about your needs and he will recommend something that will work. They cost a bit more, but they are killer. There's a lot more to making pickups than most people think. See if you can find this ($6 for iPad version)

image.axd?picture=10847_d.jpg

Lollar Vintage Blackface

• Members

I have a set of BG Pups v60's that are very nice. Bryan will do custom winds, he will give you exactly what you want, and he has VERY good prices to go with a VERY good product.

Also check Wilde pickups. Shoot them an email and they can put together a set for your needs. Again VERY good prices to go with a VERY good product.

• Members

I have Van zandt vintage plus pickups in my neck and middle and a lollar special in the bridge. Best Strat tones i've ever heard are from my guitar. The Bridge it very usable which is great because i normally hate the bridge in most strats. ALso the van zandts are made in texas and are texas style pickups so they get that texas special sound just much fuller and more quality. They make texas special's sound like squier pickups

• Members

I have Van zandt vintage plus pickups in my neck and middle and a lollar special in the bridge. Best Strat tones i've ever heard are from my guitar. The Bridge it very usable which is great because i normally hate the bridge in most strats. ALso the van zandts are made in texas and are texas style pickups so they get that texas special sound just much fuller and more quality. They make texas special's sound like squier pickups

I have the VZ V+ set in my gorgeous Rataecaster, and I'm a very happy puppy indeed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

There's Jim Rolph's pickups. I rarely see his product mentioned anywhere, meanwhile he makes great strat pickups, and he can make a set (sets) from any year, I believe 1954-1970's. every set of pickups I got from him were beautiful. I got a set of 1964 strat pickups that are fantastic and a set of '59 PAF style pickups, I put in a R9. Both sets are the best I've played other than originals. And what a gentleman. Tell him what your looking for and trust him, he's got great ears and great instincts as far as tones for guitar are concerned. All the other pickup builders mentioned here a great, I happen to have had stellar experiences with Jim Rolph's pickups.

• Members

You can NOT go wrong with Jason Lollar's pickups.

+1, Lollar's pickups are killer. My friend has a Nash Strat with the Blackface set which sounds really good, and I just picked up a Tele with Lollars which sounds out of this world awesome. It's making me seriously think about swapping the pickups in my Heritage H535 to Imperials. There are a lot of choices out there, but to me Lollar is the gold standard of pickups right now.

Archived