Keith Richards vs. Pete Townshend

wagdog

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't want to choose.

I love Pete, he defines Rock guitar in so many ways.

Unfortunately Keef defines Rock 'n' Roll guitar in a similar number of ways.

If you really forced me to, I'd pick out Keef, if only because of the way he intertwines with the rest of a band. Then again, Pete played with John Williams, which is badass beyond belief.

I'm going to make myself dizzy going round like this

• Members

I have a ton of respect for Richards as a player/songwriter, but Townshend has shaped my musical 'career' more than anyone else. I know the hits/CSI themes can be overplayed (I still love Who's Next, but I'd be OK with not hearing Who Are You for a while). Listen to something like 'Sunrise' from Sell Out, and then 'Young Man Blues' from Live at Leeds. Or 'A Quick One' from the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus ;)

With that said, they're both legends and deservedly so.

• Members

Keef by a mile for me. I certainly respect The Who and that a lot of people love them, I've just never gotten that into them and I've never heard Pete play anything that totally blew me away. Obviously he's an important and influential player, just not for me personally. Keef's played a million awesome riffs and has tons of songs I love.

• Members

Tough one. I like Pete better and I like more Who tunes than Stones tunes. BUT I think I like the Stones better/more and in both cases it's the music that they created, which while guitar-based is far bigger than the instrument. Also the Stones covered far more musical bases and extremely well at that.

I like Pete better, but only marginally. That said, I hate Jagger and definitely prefer Roger.

Archived