Warmoth Standard Thin vs. Warmoth '59 Roundback vs. American Standard Neck Thickness

Doctor Morbius

• Members

For those of you that are curious how Warmoth's Standard Thin neck contour compares to a current American Standard neck countour, read the following.

Warmoth Standard Thin contoured necks are thinner than American Standard Strat necks, even though Warmoth claims they are similar. This is uncorrect! Truth be told, Warmoth's '59 Roundback contour is much closer in thickness to an American Standard neck than a Warmoth Standard thin neck.

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/BackContours.aspx

I used a vintage micrometer that I'd inherited from my Grandpa and took some measurements this evening. Instead of using the 1st fret I used the 3rd fret as it was actually thinner than the 1st fret and closer to Warmoth's advertised specs (see link above).

Unfortunately, I couldn't measure the 12th fret thickness as the micrometer wasn't deep enough to allow the measuring poles to reach the middle of the neck. I guess they didn't have Fatback contour micrometers back in the day. :D

2009 Warmoth Standard Thin Strat Neck 3rd fret: 0.80" same as advertised for the 1st fret.

2008 American Standard Strat neck 3rd fret: 0.85" which is what the Warmoth Standard Thin is advertised at the 12th fret.

2012 Warmoth '59 Roundback Jazzmaster neck 3rd fret: .08525" so it's just a tad thicker than the American Standard. Warmoth's advertised thickness for the 1st fret is actually 0.086", which is about right as the 1st fret is thicker than the 3rd fret. (I just got this neck in the mail today)

So what does this mean boys and girls? This means if you want a neck from Warmoth that is most similar in chunkiness and feel to an American Standard neck, get the '59 Roundback contour and not the Standard Thin contour.

Thank you and have a most pleasant midnight snack.

• Members
I don't understand why Warmoth's Fender specs are so goofy. Everything! The bodies, necks, pickguards.
:(

Cheers for the info!

I don't know either. I know their Jazzmaster bodies are too thick and the Jazzy pickguards won't fit an AVRI and vise verse. Warmoth makes some nice stuff, but I don't get why they can't make it accurate either. :idk:

• Members

I don't know either. I know their Jazzmaster bodies are too thick and the Jazzy pickguards won't fit an AVRI and vise verse. Warmoth makes some nice stuff, but I don't get why they can't make it accurate either.
:idk:

I would suspect it has to do with their licensing agreement with Fender. Fender lets them use the body, headstock shapes, but makes them muck about with the specs to ensure that warmoth can't creep in on their business.

• Members

I concur. When I ordered my 59 roundback, the thought was I was getting something beefier than an american standard and was disappointed. It is however, considerably thicker at the 12th fret. Mine measures .96 on the dot. My 2008 american standard is .88 on the 12th. Now, I'm a boat man. Smaller shoulders deeper hull, love it.

• Members
I concur. When I ordered my 59 roundback, the thought was I was getting something beefier than an american standard and was disappointed. It is however, considerably thicker at the 12th fret. Mine measures .96 on the dot. My 2008 american standard is .88 on the 12th. Now, I'm a boat man. Smaller shoulders deeper hull, love it.

I have a Fender soft V neck and it's pretty nice. Warmoth's Fatback is way too big for me. I'll probably stick with the '59 from here on out. No more Warmoth Standard Thins for me though.

• Members

1. 1st Edition Jeff Beck 1st fret .945 5th fret .975 12 fret .995

2. 2nd Edition Jeff Beck 1. .902 5th .908 12th .970

3. 90s Korean Protone 1st - .824 5th .838 12th .855

4. 81 Lead II 1st - .891 5th .890 12th .930

5. 90s MIM 1st - .802 5th .813 12th .851

6. 71 Tele 1st - .890 5th .885 12th .925

7. 79 US strat 1st - .922 5th .929 12th .970

8. 89 Bullet 1st - .836 5th .843 12th .906

• Members

I have a warmoth standard thin, and it feels close to my fender strat plus from 1997, but maybe a little thinner and flatter on the back of the C, but still pretty close. Of course, both are pretty old, so maybe warmoth and fender have changed things since then. I certainly never measured them, so I don't doubt your take on them. I like the standard thin warmoth profile and find it pretty comfortable to play.

I also have a warmoth SRV profile that is noticeably fatter than the strat plus and standard thin, and asymmetric with more wood on the bass side. It may not be much thicker, but it certainly seems to fill the hand better than the others. It is one of my favorite guitar necks. I guess I like an asymmetric neck, as I also really like my LP standard (old 2008.5 model) for the same reason; lots of meat on the bass side without being overly thick.

It is pretty amazing how such small dimensional differences can really change the feel of a guitar.

• Members

I have a Warmoth '59 roundback and a 2011 American Standard Strat. The '59 roundback is noticeably meatier than the Strat neck.

I hear ya. This might not be yours but having owned about 15 strats made during 2000 to 2012, there is some variation in neck size. Not a lot but it makes a big difference when you hold them. Shape can really influence the feel too. IE Big shoulders vs small shoulders.

• Members
It is pretty amazing how such small dimensional differences can really change the feel of a guitar.

So true. I never would have thought 0.05 inches would feel noticeably different, but it certainly does. I notice the same with nut widths. I can hardly chord with a 42mm nut width, but a 42.8mm is a different story.

Archived