Reverend guitars...Tell me about them.

grunge782

• Members

Personally I think Reverends are great. I have a 2007 Flatroc that I love. and have been impressed with all most other Reverends I've played. The Reeves Gabrels sig model is extremely enticing.

And my Flatroc (also Korina) is a very comfortable weight. But Korina can definitely be heavy so it wouldn't surprise me to come across a heavy one from time to time.

• Members

I own 9. Daredevil HB, Roundhouse 290, Volcano, Rocco American, Charger 290, Reeves Gabrels 2, Manta Ray 390 Limited, Club King and a Six Gun. Excellent. Everyone who plays them is impressed. Very much like Godin, extremely high quality guitar for 1/2 what most other cost ( and I am speaking of Fender, Gibson and Gretsch). Realizing much of this is subjective, and NOT bashing those other three brands, I always recommend playing a few Revs against nything up to 3k. A few of mine overlap, especially with the Reeves, so I might sell a couple, but not out of lack of liking them. I would recommend you chck the Sensei RA, and Bozz of Angels has a sweet used one for sale right now that I would knab if I were not maxed out. The railhammer pups are the real deal.

• Members

Still the best electric guitar value out there, dollar for dollar. Top notch Korean made guitars. Among the best necks you'll ever try.

They were a better deal a few years ago I think when the prices were lower but still a great deal on a well built guitar. Excellent neck as Larry says. Electronic are fine for me and I've not replaced them even though I know BG pups would be better :D. The bass contour knob is a unique feature that a lot of other guitars don't have.

If I was to lose mine I'd get another.

• Members

Sounds good. Can you guys be a little bit more specific on the profiles of the neck though? Thick, thin...what would you compare them to?

The neck on mine is similar to a Fender Am. Std. Modern "C" shape, but just a tad meatier / thicker. It's one of the best feeling necks I've ever played.

• Members

I have a Rev bass - terrific instrument I purchased when I had originally headed to the store to buy one of the many, many J- and P-basses they had in stock. Also played some of their guitars.

In my experience, Reverend necks are:

- well-finished (no snaggly fret ends here)

- appear to have good components (the fretboards I've seen were nicely grained)

- resonant / have great feel

- felt a little stiff, if that makes sense, but in a way I liked

Things I liked about the Pete Anderson model I played:

- very pretty sounds NOT PLUGGED IN (I was not going to buy it, so didn't go into the amp room). But rich sounds, good projection.

- great playability

- nice overall balance

Things I adore about my bass:

- the variety of tones I can get via the electronics (hot rails and single coil, blend knob ... three knobs and one three-pos switch gets me a LOT of sounds)

- the overall playability of the neck - as well as the reasonable size and shape of the body

- yup, it's on the heavier side, but not obnoxiously so

- looks fantastic, and while I'm not gigging or taking it out of the house, it seems tremendously sturdy and built to last

Finally, a word about customer service. When I bought the bass, it came with nothing - not even some allen wrenches. It was on closeout, and one of the saddle screws was poorly threaded. I called Reverend and left a message on their VM. I got a call back from Ken (who manages a lot of their operations) within two hours. He sent me the wrenches and a replacement saddle screw, and said "if that doesn't work send me an email and I'll send you a saddle." Could not have been friendlier/nicer; the point was clear: we'll stand behind our instruments. It was impressive.

• Members

Ken Haas is the owner. Joe Naylor is the original owner, now a designer. Zak Green touches EVERY Rev that goes out. I was there about 2 weeks ago to get my RG2 signed. It is literally a 3 desk office, 1 bench in back for Zak, a killer demo room with a door, multiple amps, etc.

A far as necks go, they vary. I'd call the neck on the RG2 more narrow and fast, my Daredevil classic zgibby chunky, my sixgun a cross between a strat and a tele. The thing is, each of the models are pretty different. In general, they are all very resonant, very useful across a range of tones. The most narrow of the ones I own is the Club King with the Filterons. I love playing it, and it has a Les Trem on it, but, not my fave pup. This one is unlikely to hang around too much longer, as the Manta Ray has a lot of the same vibe,, but with the orgasmo P90's. The Club King is very Rick/Gretsch sounding, which I can get a lot of out of my RG2 or my Dipinto oddley. The bass contour knob is also a really neat feature. I'd say it fattens or thins the sound, but it does more..It is more like a mojo knob, but less more/less but rather A range of tonal color.

In any event. these guitars are the real deal. the folks are the real deal. Ken is kind of a monster guitar player too ( it was rather humiliating to play after him), has a wife who works there, 4 critters, etc. Yes, the guitar builds are overseas, but they are selling more than ever. They are very much an American Small Business that deserve if not your support, at least an opportunity to get it. Find some and play them. If you can't swing a new one, GC has them used sll the time, but really, the Sensei Bozz has is a sweet deal. The Sensei is in essence a redesign of the Daredevil which was like a super SG ( and I have play some mojo riffic SG's...Daredevils go head to head in every respect except the fragile headstock).

• Members

Ken Haas is the owner. Joe Naylor is the original owner, now a designer. Zak Green touches EVERY Rev that goes out. I was there about 2 weeks ago to get my RG2 signed. It is literally a 3 desk office, 1 bench in back for Zak, a killer demo room with a door, multiple amps, etc.

A far as necks go, they vary. I'd call the neck on the RG2 more narrow and fast, my Daredevil classic zgibby chunky, my sixgun a cross between a strat and a tele. The thing is, each of the models are pretty different. In general, they are all very resonant, very useful across a range of tones. The most narrow of the ones I own is the Club King with the Filterons. I love playing it, and it has a Les Trem on it, but, not my fave pup. This one is unlikely to hang around too much longer, as the Manta Ray has a lot of the same vibe,, but with the orgasmo P90's. The Club King is very Rick/Gretsch sounding, which I can get a lot of out of my RG2 or my Dipinto oddley. The bass contour knob is also a really neat feature. I'd say it fattens or thins the sound, but it does more..It is more like a mojo knob, but less more/less but rather A range of tonal color.

In any event. these guitars are the real deal. the folks are the real deal. Ken is kind of a monster guitar player too ( it was rather humiliating to play after him), has a wife who works there, 4 critters, etc. Yes, the guitar builds are overseas, but they are selling more than ever. They are very much an American Small Business that deserve if not your support, at least an opportunity to get it. Find some and play them. If you can't swing a new one, GC has them used sll the time, but really, the Sensei Bozz has is a sweet deal. The Sensei is in essence a redesign of the Daredevil which was like a super SG ( and I have play some mojo riffic SG's...Daredevils go head to head in every respect except the fragile headstock).

Very cool. How does the Korina sound with the Sensei? I've never owned a Korina bodied guitar before.

• Members

I have not played a Sensei yet actually...Korina in general seems light and resonant, with great sustain. I find it to be kind of a weird (in a good way) wood. It does not feel like it should have that sustain, but, it does.

Guitars are so subjective. I am not the best player. I am a solid rhythm player and lead singer, so take my opinion for what it is worth. I play some lead, but am really just starting to " try" to improve at it after bashing around for years. But, I have played and owned close to 200 guitars, some flips, some swaps, etc. I am pretty picky. Every Rev I play just makes me want another, different flavor. Next up for me is either a Thundergun Bass once I sell two others I have, or a Pete Anderson, again, once a few others move. And, if you are a Tele player, the Eastsider is a monster, monster guitar. It might be the perfect tele style, and at the price of about a grand street, unbeatable in my book.

Archived