Ibanez Sabre S series. How can they be so thin?

belovedmonster

• Members
i just got a s540fm with a broken neck. Gotta guy going to repair the neck but it is missing one fret from where it was broken. Does anybody know the size of these frets on this series. It is the Korean made with the oval fret markers, can't find anything on the net to give me the actual size. Also where would be the best place to buy this from?

Your 'guy' should be able to measure one of the other frets to figure out what he needs to get.

• Members

I toured with an S for over a year, it was brilliant. I never noticed a lack of sustain or warmth to the sound. Very comfortable for our energetic live show, plus the weight was a real bonus when it came to touring Europe last year.

[video=youtube;L3Io7vs6OWY]

• Members

Your 'guy' should be able to measure one of the other frets to figure out what he needs to get.

he isn't a luthier or tech or anything.he is just a 'guy' who plays and does some small repair and setup for a few of us.

he has already glued the neck and done an excellent job.he doesn't have the tool (micrometer?) to measure one of the other frets.

this is also being done for free so he can gain some experience,but i have to get the fret wire for him.he has agreed to buy me a new neck if he messes anything up as well.......so yeah.

now that i have given you more info do you know what size the frets are ?

• Members

he isn't a luthier or tech or anything.he is just a 'guy' who plays and does some small repair and setup for a few of us.

he has already glued the neck and done an excellent job.he doesn't have the tool (micrometer?) to measure one of the other frets.

this is also being done for free so he can gain some experience,but i have to get the fret wire for him.he has agreed to buy me a new neck if he messes anything up as well.......so yeah.

now that i have given you more info do you know what size the frets are ?

I would ask on the Ibanez boards. They have a technical forum. I would think somebody there could give you the correct info.

• Members

Or check the Ibanez wiki; or just get your buddy to slap in a medium jumbo and file it down to height.

wiki was no good.....we discussed going that route but i would rather get the right one if possible.

• Members

cause they are cheaper to make that way? Lets get clear on the terms "design criteria" and "cause and effect"...

A lighter guitar costs less to make and ship, period. You think basswood was some magic wood they found after trying all the others? LOL

• Members

wiki was no good.....we discussed going that route but i would rather get the right one if possible.

If you put a new fret into a used guitar you're going to have to file it down anyway. Get something with roughly the same width and you should be golden.

Edit: It's probably just a medium jumbo fret anyway. Isn't that what's been used on RG/S' since the dawn of time?

• Members

If you put a new fret into a used guitar you're going to have to file it down anyway. Get something with roughly the same width and you should be golden.

Edit: It's probably just a medium jumbo fret anyway. Isn't that what's been used on RG/S' since the dawn of time?

you actually have a good point.

i may very well go this route.

these are some big wide frets.......def. bigger than medium jumbo

• Members

i own 2 s series. you cant beat the design. when your giving it a good rocking for 40 mins you feel like nothing is across your shouders. try playing a les paul for an hour and try playing an s. in a live situation, i think you can get some great tone without weighing yourself down. i will say in a recording situation they have sounded a bit thin. but i guess im baised in that area, when its time to record i go straight for the les paul. if your going to buy one, i recommend tracking down the frank gambale models. there not good for metal but that F1 pickup is killer.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Resurrecting a thread a little bit. I discovered this guitar last week and am happy to have picked it up. It is so thin and light it's ridiculous, at least a pound lighter than any of the rest of the guitars I have and so ergonomic with such a smooth neck I immediately traded in my #2 to get it. Ridiculous. The smoothness of the neck edges and the fret treatment is a work of art too. Anyway, it sounds HUGE. It sounds bigger than the guitar I traded in which was twice as thick with a thicker neck. How is that? Amazing. It also has an archtop feel with that curved top.

ceaf863c407145ce5238125d6da35029.thumb.jpg.88ce988c2d0e12b73e5b8beb35d6c0ba.jpg

cdea3fa9676eedcc2fc6884593cb3617.jpg.9d7b7d578e71a34cb41f1757480eab16.jpg

• Members
I discovered this guitar last week and am happy to have picked it up. It is so thin and light it's ridiculous' date=' at least a pound lighter than any of the rest of the guitars I have and so ergonomic with such a smooth neck I immediately traded in my #2 to get it. Ridiculous. [/quote']

It's light and thin for an Ibanez, but it's nowhere as light and thin as a Parker Fly. BTW, I've owned a gloss black S-470 for a number of years. The S (Sabre) models are really more about the thin ergonomic edge around the body that lightness of weight.

• Members
how much sustain do we really need? Sustain is WAY WAY overrated as I said earlier.

Really? I mean, Really? Sustain is how great guitars are measured. And no, not thru an amp with a gazillion watts of heavy metal thunder, but a nice clean amp. Say... a Fender twin,. or a Roland JC120. Strum a nice clean chord. the longer the sustain, the more you "hear" the overtones, and the timbres of the guitar. Some call that, the soul of the guitar. Things you can't hear with distortion. Take a good Paul, strum an E9 chord, and let it ring. then, just listen. The try the same with say a strat. The sustain isn't there, you don't get the overtones, the harmonics, or the complexities. (No, I am not dissing strats. They have their own unique tone, but even the most diehard strat lover will agree that their sustain doesn't compare to a Paul.)

Seriously Brian, sit and LISTEN, then rethink that attitude about sustain.

Archived