Gretsch Electromatic G1619 "Sparkle Jet"????

bsman

• Members

Hollow body is made of plywood over basswood from China. Pickups are o.k. I would think it's an "o.k." deal but not fantastic. If you like the sound and playability I'd say go for it. One that my friend had was pretty cheaply made. His was silver. Fret ends seemed a bit sharp.

just kind of felt cheaply made.

• Members

I can't make out what the headstock "emblem" says, although it looks like a very nice instrument, very nice for $150.

Synchromatic. Gretsch is engraved on the truss rod cover. Synchros were the cheapest product line Gretsch offered, pre-Fender, and were made in Korea from 1999 till early 2003. Most of 'em were laminated solidbodies (I had one from 2002, until 2005 - a 1413 Jet Club). The price is OK for this one. I also used to have the thinline version of the guitar the OP is talking about, back in 2008 & 2009.

My old 1629 Synchromatic Red Sparkle Jet w/f-hole:

G1629SynchroSparkleJetwithf-hole.jpg

As long as you realize it's a bit less Gretschy than other Gretsches, due to its bolt-on neck, laminated body, badass bridge, and Gretschbucker pickups, they're fun and funky guitars. I had to sell mine, to fund an unexpected vet bill for one of my cats.

• Members

The above sums it up. These pre-Fender imports weren't nearly as nice as the current Electromatics. I had an Electromatic Jet Club II from the same era, bolt-neck Jet with dual HBs, but without the funky covers to make them look more Gretschy, and a standard LP-type pot layout. OK but nothing special. The toggle bit the dust and had to be replaced.

$150 is a fair price but not a stunning score imnsho.

• Members

Thanks, folks. I think I'm gonna pass on it -- I was hoping for something that (with a judicious change of PUs) could be a killer stage guitar, but I think I'll wait a bit for something a little more worthwhile!

Archived