G string won't intonate?

Fenderman1991

• Members

So I realized today that my intonation of my G string is way off, like I can't play any notes past the 12th fret without it sounding terrible. Granted I am a beginner at setting up my own guitars, but I've tried all I can to get this thing in tune and it just won't budge!! Any other way to affect this besides the saddle screw? Because no matter what way I twist that it just won't get intonated... :facepalm::facepalm:

Thank you!

• Members

Well as it were...

I put the new string on and thought I noticed the problem right away...the nut was not filed correctly...the string was in the slot but it was actually not even a slot, it was really just chillin there on the nut. :facepalm:

So I filed that down and its actually in a groove now...but the intonation problem continues...

I think I'll bring it to a pro for a proper set up so I can get this baby playin like it ought to before I go back to school...

• Members
Well as it were...

I put the new string on and thought I noticed the problem right away...the nut was not filed correctly...the string was in the slot but it was actually not even a slot, it was really just chillin there on the nut.
:facepalm:

So I filed that down and its actually in a groove now...but the intonation problem continues...

I think I'll bring it to a pro for a proper set up so I can get this baby playin like it ought to before I go back to school...

What guitar is this? Is this your new Mustang?

• Members

Keep in mind, intonation is not exact on any guitar. Intonation is a compromise.

The nut and frets on most guitars are straight and so the scale length of each string needs to be compensated at the bridge to help it sound more in tune with fretted notes vs open notes.

If the nut is compensated, the bridge may require a different compensation. Or, if the frets are fanned out instead of parallel, the bridge compensation needs will also be different.

When I'm adjusting intonation on a guitar, I use a strobe tuner to get as close as I can. Then, if I'm faced with an intonation challenge on a string, I'll use my best guess and/or trial and error.

If the saddle height can be adjusted for each string, it's a good idea to take a look at the saddle height to make sure it's not dramatically out of place. For example, if that saddle seems lower than every other saddle, it can throw off the intonation. Generally, on a vintage fretboard with a curved radius, the bridge saddles should match the curved radius of the frets causing the saddle height to be highest on the D and G strings because that's where the frets peak. If the bridge doesn't have individual saddle height adjustments, that makes it simpler.

I've posted a photo below that shows the typical saddle positions. That same pattern will repeats itself on most electric guitars. Therefore, most guitar bridges will look very close to that photo when the guitar has been adjusted for proper intonation. You'll notice that G string saddle is slightly farther back than the D string saddle....that's usually the case. You can use this to guess at the proper position of your G string saddle. You can even place the G saddle at the same distance as the D string and it will be close, assuming the string height is in the proper place.

Again, it's never going to be exact. For example, an open G chord sounds a bit off on most guitars. That's normal. The goal should be to get the intonation close enough that it sounds close enough for the stuff you like to play.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkUVYMgjkUofS4eLLxTCr

Archived