split-post tuners

music321

• Members

3) For B and high e, measure 4 posts worth of "extra" string and cut. Fold the first inch worth with pliers to nearly 180 degrees, but not all the way. Leave some springiness in the wire. Take the next inch worth and fold with pliers to 90o and insert the first 2 inches worth into the tuning hole. Wind counter-clockwise.

By having the first two inches folded in half, it makes the string much less likely to pop out when you're trying to wind it.

Making life difficult for yourself there. For thin strings, cut the string the same as the others. Poke the string in the hole. Poke a toothpick in the hole beside the string to wedge it. Wind. Done.

• Members

:thu:

I've never had the string to pop out or the tuning to be adversely affected, and almost every guitar I've had with split post tuners have had a whammy of some sort. And most experts seem to say that the fewer windings, the better. The locking mechanism in these split tuners is in the insertion, that's the beauty of them. They don't require much fancy winding at all to get them to pretty much lock forever.

If you want to be name dropping, I get my stringing method from Chris Kinman, as in the maker of the greatest noiseless pickups in the world and a huge vintage Fender enthusiast.

I love having these little give and takes with you. Especially since you've been playing for 14 months and always come in here like some know it all.

I have had the string slip out of the post when it didn't have at least one wrap around it. One time in THIRTY YEARS of playing doesn't seem like a huge risk, but if it happens at a bad time, you'd really value that 30 seconds more you could have spent winding that string around the peg a couple times.

I think experts agree that fewer windings doesn't mean no windings.

• Members

i freaking love the split-post tuners and have no idea why Fender stopped using them when they did. i put them in all my strats. need to add them to my Tele too.

Even though I prefer sealed tuners I agree about the split posts. I'll never understand why almost no one does split posts on sealed tuners. It just makes good sense.

KOA024.jpg

Archived