Question on dummy coil effect on tone... anyone?

dimibetan

• Members

I'm planning a strat build and I have a set of fender hot alnico 3 pickups. These are already hot pickups with DC resistance from 10-12k. I was wondering if I'll install a dummy coil for this set, would there be any effect on tone and output?

Cheers,

D

• Members

Isn't the middle pickup RWRP?

If so, it will not work well with a dummy coil - you'll get double the hum unless you find a way to reverse the phase of the dummy when using the middle only and take the dummy out of circuit when you are in the in between positions.

• Members

Because you are adding an extra coil in the circuit, either in parallel or series, it does affect output and tone some.

The best dummy coil setup I've seen is the Suhr backplate...you want dummy coils away from strings and other pickups, and the backplate gives a nice wide area to pickup interference. But, most importantly you can dial in the compromise between hum and impact on tone.

But as noted, dummy coils don't work with RWRP middle pickups.

• Members

Good luck finding a 5 way switch that can do the job.

You can get a super switch easy enough to do it, but it needlessly complicates things unless you want different switching combinations.

But a Blueshawk seems a an example of poor implementation of a dummy coil, a lot of people disconnected the coil because it does have a detrimental (sp?) effect on the BH.

• Members

You can get a super switch easy enough to do it, but it needlessly complicates things unless you want different switching combinations.

But a Blueshawk seems a an example of poor implementation of a dummy coil, a lot of people disconnected the coil because it does have a detrimental (sp?) effect on the BH.

Could you show a diagram of how a super switch would do this. I can't picture it.

• Members

Could you show a diagram of how a super switch would do this. I can't picture it.

No. Don't feel like drawing one.

But a Super Switch is a 4P5T switch. In this case the DUmmy coil needs two poles because we are going to reverse it. So...

P1 = Neck PU and Dummy Coil

P2 = Neck PU and RWRP Middle PU

P3 = RWRP Middle PU and RW Dummy Coil

P4 = RWRP Middle PU and Bridge PU

P5 = Bridge PU and Dummy Coil

The PU's each get wired as normal...

Neck, Middle and Bridge ground wires go directly to Ground...

Neck Hot goes to pole #1 in P1 and P2

Middle Hot goes to pole #2 in P2, P3 and P4

Bridge PU goes to pole #1 in P4 and P5

Dummy Coil Hot goes to pole #3 and ground goes to #4 in P1...you jumper and cross them to P3 where Hot connects to pole #4 and Ground to pole #3 and then jumper and cross them once more to P5 where Hot once again goes to pole #3 and ground goes to #4

Commons 1,2,3 run to Volume, Common 4 runs to Ground

Common 1 also runs to Neck/Bridge Tone control

Common 2 also runs to Middle Tone control.

There is a BIG caveat that I can't do this with traditional tone controls. A Master Tone might be an idea or even the G&L Treble and Bass controls. Actually, thinking about it, if you run a parallel Hot wire from the PU directly to the Tone control for Neck and the same for the Middle PU, it might work.

Now, in my head, that should work. YMMV.

• Members

But a Super Switch is a 4P5T switch. In this case the DUmmy coil needs two poles because we are going to reverse it. So...

Dummy Coil Hot goes to pole #3 and ground goes to #4 in P1...you jumper and cross them to P3 where Hot connects to pole #4 and Ground to pole #3 and then jumper and cross them once more to P5 where Hot once again goes to pole #3 and ground goes to #4

There is a BIG caveat that I can't do this with traditional tone controls. A Master Tone might be an idea or even the G&L Treble and Bass controls. Actually, thinking about it, if you run a parallel Hot wire from the PU directly to the Tone control for Neck and the same for the Middle PU, it might work.

Now,
in my head,
that should work. YMMV.

Seems like it would work! Thanks :thu:

• Members

Now,
in my head,
that should work. YMMV.

Thanks!!! This is really helpful!!!

Archived