Difference between torrified maple and baked maple?

Fusion1

• Members

The torrified maple seems a little lighter colored than baked maple. But what is the difference in how they treat the maple to get two different end results from what I am assuming is the same raw maple before treatment.

• Members

Same thing.

Torrefied is the real, technical term for the process in the lumber business.

Baked (Gibson), Roasted (Suhr, Music Man) are all just bull{censored} marketing terms, possibly used because they can be trademarked.

Just like a roast beef or thanksgiving turkey -- the longer you cook it, the more it carmelizes. Gibson wants the darker color to "imply" rosewood and not mess up their aesthetics.

• Members

This is not helping in my recently acquired case of GAS in regards to non-traditional necks that decrease fluctuations in the wood. ie., graphite necks

I want a to put together a guitar that is resistant to humidity and other issues that affect wood. I have been checking into alternative materials for the neck and body. The problem is, I LOVE the feel of raw wood. Maybe one of these torrified maple necks is the way to go.

• Members

This is not helping in my recently acquired case of GAS in regards to non-traditional necks that decrease fluctuations in the wood. ie., graphite necks

I want a to put together a guitar that is resistant to humidity and other issues that affect wood. I have been checking into alternative materials for the neck and body. The problem is, I LOVE the feel of raw wood. Maybe one of these torrified maple necks is the way to go.

Obviously you need to play one, but I have a Melody Maker Explorer with a baked maple board and I like it better than any rosewood board I've played. Many will not feel this way, however.

• Members

Obviously you need to play one, but I have a Melody Maker Explorer with a baked maple board and I like it better than any rosewood board I've played. Many will not feel this way, however.

Screw the baked maple fretboards. Gibson isn't using baked maple to its advantage, they just needed something to substitute for rosewood and they do their best to make it look like rosewood.

If you going to get torrefied Maple neck...get one that really shows it off...

StreamImage.aspx?Image_ID=5BEF20EF-D912-

DSC_0205.jpg

Classic_Shorline_Gold_13382_d.jpg

5591_full.jpg

sparkle5.jpg

581310_10151195703521340_1369444384_n.jp

• Members

Screw the baked maple fretboards. Gibson isn't using baked maple to its advantage, they just needed something to substitute for rosewood and they do their best to make it look like rosewood.

If you going to get torrefied Maple neck...get one that really shows it off...

I don't disagree. I was more talking about its playability. Those pics do its aesthetics justice. Gibby fretboards do not.

• Members

baked maple feels great to play on. feels like unfinished maple (duh)

thats not a fair comparison. Gibson only uses baked maple caps. The back of the neck of this 70s tribute is regular maple like Fender uses. Ive never heard anyone complain about Fender maple necks before not being pretty enough

sg8.jpg

oil8.jpg

baked15.jpg

• Members

they're both (equivalently inferior to/much cheaper than) ebony on the fingerboard. And a little too processed looking elsewhere, including figured wood in the neck/body.

But if you simply HAVE to buy a new guitar every couple weeks you will eventually accept them, tis your burden.

• Members

I do need to play one. Plus, I am interested in the torrefied wood as the neckwood as well as the fingerboard. The ideal situation for me is to have a raw wood neck that is impervious to atmospheric conditions. I am not saying this is possible, just the ideal situation.

• Members

Thanks you for this, I have an SG junior with a baked maple fretboard, and I love it, feels just as nice as rosewood, maybe not quite as nice as ebony. but I'm not a massive ebony fan anyway. I love the way that the the longer you play something on a baked maple board, the easier it becomes. it may sounds disgusting to some, but if practicing a hard phrase or soloing for a while in the same position/key, its like the board will 'soak up' sweat from your fingers and keeps everything super smooth and not horribly dry. i find it actually makes it really slick to play, I think everyone should at least try it

• Members

I just realized that the SG Special HH I just got has a baked maple fretboard. It is nice and I like it a lot more than Rosewood. Wish I could get this on a Tribute SG with p90s though. Hopefully they will make one of these more affordable p90 SGs again.

• Members

I just realized that the SG Special HH I just got has a baked maple fretboard. It is nice and I like it a lot more than Rosewood. Wish I could get this on a Tribute SG with p90s though. Hopefully they will make one of these more affordable p90 SGs again.

get the 70s tribute and put p90s in it. i think the routes are the same (mini-hums), if not one is just a bit deeper/shallower but should be an easy fix.

• Members

I would expect to see much more of it. It's been integrated into several models now. This tribute model has a baked maple board, by the way. Not sure if that's what you meant though.

• Members

I would expect to see much more of it. It's been integrated into several models now.
tribute model has a baked maple board, by the way. Not sure if that's what you meant though.

Yeah I knew the 70s models have it but I'm not wanting one with mini humbuckers. I am assuming soapbars would fit the route the same which wouldn't be a big deal to swap out. I'm not digging the small block inlays. They look cheap to me and remind me of some of the cheapo 90s Korean era Epis or other asian imports from the 80s or 90s. I would have preferred simple dot inlays of even the cheapo Melody Maker models that also have the baked maple.

An OT question about mini humbuckers... Can the cover be removed like a humbucker or is it like a PhatCat pickup where the cover holds the thing together? I might dig a mini humbucker in the neck which would cut through and not get muddy like a regular humbucker. I'd probably dig the mini dual open coil look if they used black bobbins underneath. Then I'd swap in a P-90 Super Distortion in the bridge and be set.

• Members

I'm not digging the small block inlays. They look cheap to me and remind me of some of the cheapo 90s Korean era Epis or other asian imports from the 80s or 90s. I would have preferred simple dot inlays of even the cheapo Melody Maker models that also have the baked maple.

Lol that is exactly what I thought about it, too.

• Members

I was looking a little more into this and I have to say, it's not cheap...a neck black (uncarved) of figured, torrefied Maple for a Strat or Tele neck is $200+ beufre thy even make the neck out of it.

uh.... where the hell were you looking? baked maple (which isnt a marketting term, just a layman term, its literally baked in an oven) is cheap as dirt. book matched flamed baked maple caps for lp's are about $30-$40 last i checked (last week in person at my local lumber supplier). nice neck blanks should be $3-$15 depending on figure.

if someone is asking $200, its purely because some poor sucker is willing to pay it based on the current hype.

• Members

Yeah I knew the 70s models have it but I'm not wanting one with mini humbuckers. I am assuming soapbars would fit the route the same which wouldn't be a big deal to swap out. I'm not digging the small block inlays. They look cheap to me and remind me of some of the cheapo 90s Korean era Epis or other asian imports from the 80s or 90s. I would have preferred simple dot inlays of even the cheapo Melody Maker models that also have the baked maple.

An OT question about mini humbuckers... Can the cover be removed like a humbucker or is it like a PhatCat pickup where the cover holds the thing together? I might dig a mini humbucker in the neck which would cut through and not get muddy like a regular humbucker. I'd probably dig the mini dual open coil look if they used black bobbins underneath. Then I'd swap in a P-90 Super Distortion in the bridge and be set.

Typically, you can't remove covers on mini's, especially the original models from the '60's/'70's.

You may not like the look anyway, because they are probably note individual pole pieces, but but rail-like slugs.

Archived