NGD: Squier Vintage Modified Thinline Telecaster

honeyiscool

• Members

I won't bother you with my crappy picture. Instead, here are the pictures the eBay guy took:

t2ec16nyee9s5jeq4bqjswm.jpg

t2ec16hke9s4bugmbqjsik0.jpg

I just played with it about 20 minutes through my amp and I have to say, wow, that neck! I love it. If I were to come up with my perfect neck, it would be just like this one. It's vintage 7.25" radius, 24.75" scale, profile is skinny but has thickness in the good places, frets are medium jumbo but they feel smaller for some reason, a smooth gloss finish, it feels almost satin. Overall, this might be my favorite neck ever that doesn't belong to a Fender Mustang.

I don't know why I hesitated so long to get this thing. After all, I've known for a while that 24.75" is my favorite scale (24" close behind), and I've known for longer that 7.25" radius is my favorite. I also love Telecasters and I like '69 Thinlines. Playing this thing, I can see that it's going to be an absolute workhorse. This is Made in China, I thought VMs were mostly made in Indonesia. Whatever.

That said, the neck is perfect, and the tuners are more than adequate, but not all is completely right with this cheapie. The bridge could use a replacement. There are just too many parts to this bridge and it feels like there's rattle there, probably because of lots of cheap light metal. I think I'll use a Wilkinson 3-saddle bridge with compensated brass saddles, nice cheap upgrade. Also, it's strung with 9s and that probably adds to the flimsy feel. I go back and forth between 9.5s and 10s for Gibson scale but I'll probably do 10s since I have a lot of them.

The Duncan Designed pickups are pretty much duds, as I feared. While I really liked the DD SC101 pickups in the Squier Deluxe Strat, these suck. The neck has no clarity and the bridge has no fullness, and the middle position is a little bland (on a good Tele, I LOVE this position). The output isn't that strong and the sound isn't, either. I feel like even stock MIM ceramic pickups would be a huge upgrade. I also have to get used to hum again, I haven't had true single coil in ages. That said, I might get DiMarzio Areas or Fender Noiseless so maybe I don't have to get used to it after all. That, plus a 4-way switch (I already have one) and I should be set. I might also at some point get a custom pickguard made, and if I do, I'll probably flip the controls (so that the blade switch is at the rear).

ANYWAY love this guitar, first new electric in months, I'm getting that new guitar feeling again.

• Members

Congrats. I like the look of her. :thu:

The 7.25" radius is really comfy for rhythm playing. However, I don't like the way bent notes tend to fret out unless the action is set up relatively high. But, if it works best for you, more power to you.

I prefer the 9.50" radius as a nice compromise between the 7.25" and 12" radius necks. Also, I'm partial to compound radius necks...although it took some playing time to get used to them.

I still have one 7.25" radius Squier double-fat Strat in my small collection. While it's not my favorite player, I can't seem to bring myself to get rid of it.

• Members

HNGD... tried out some squier teles this afternoon. Didn't see one of those though.

Didn't you just get a tele custon or deluxe?

This is what I was hoping to find, a Squier VM SH tele.

F-0301235506-2.jpg

A friend of mine snagged a red one like that during an Amazon blow out last November/December for like $215 shipped!

• Members

people love to blame them for sounding bad but I doubt most of these people would notice that they were bad if they were in more expensive guitars.

Other than having to rib you about your other recent comment on DDs which took me a back (a bit) happy NGD.

I have a Fender model '69 Thinline which I'm not happy with either out of the box. I've actually had it in my collection for a few years. But it is ice-picky bright. I haven't gotten around to working on it yet (too much OCD with new guitars) but my understanding is that mine will be better if I toss out the stock 1 meg pots for 250s. Then I'll have to see if it also needs new p'ups.

Point being, I've been curious about the Squier version of the '69 and whether it sounds any better. At least it doesn't sound like your model is plagued with the ice-pick syndrome.

Archived