I spent some time at GC checking out Gibby '59 necks

Into Nation

• Members

I've sort of become a fan of fatter necks over the years. I have a couple of PRS SE fat/wide necks, and also an SX strat neck that is nice and chunky. After pulling quite a few off the wall and playing them, they felt less 'fat' than what I already have.

I sort of thought they were going to be something different but really all of them felt less substantial than what I already have. Is there a Gibson neck aside of the 59 profile that is fatter?

• Members

I had two PRS with the wide fat neck...all of my Gibsons with the '59 carve are definitely more substantial than the wide fat.

All I can say is that your take is completely different than my take. I had them in the same room too so I could go from one to the other. I have a 2007 Gibson that is supposed to be the '59 carve as well and it is less substantial than my others but generally all of my others are fat. There is some hand sanding that goes on so they can vary a bit and perhaps the newer employes are doing the sanding and make thm thinner than they used to(?).

• Members

I had two PRS with the wide fat neck...all of my Gibsons with the '59 carve are definitely more substantial than the wide fat.

All I can say is that your take is completely different than my take. I had them in the same room too so I could go from one to the other. I have a 2007 Gibson that is supposed to be the '59 carve as well and it is less substantial than my others but generally all of my others are fat. There is some hand sanding that goes on so they can vary a bit and perhaps the newer employes are doing the sanding and make thm thinner than they used to(?).

Interesting. I did make sure that what I pulled down was not the modern 60's neck. Most of them were Studios, the higher end stuff was beyond my reach.

I guess it might be guitar to guitar. My PRS Soapbar felt thicker than the Korina, so I measured it with a tape and yea it was.

• Members

I've sort of become a fan of fatter necks over the years. I have a couple of PRS SE fat/wide necks, and also an SX strat neck that is nice and chunky. After pulling quite a few off the wall and playing them, they felt less 'fat' than what I already have.

I sort of thought they were going to be something different but really all of them felt less substantial than what I already have. Is there a Gibson neck aside of the 59 profile that is fatter?

A 59 neck profile is in between a 58 and a 60s. A 58 is much fatter than a 59 and 60s being slimmer. The 70s neck were very slim as well.

• Members

I'm not particularly "neck fussy", maybe that's because I'm not all that damn good at it anyway (I like to think I'm adaptable ;))

-but I notice that even within Gibson's thick 50s neck profile, some seem to be more like baseball bats than others. My Gibson ES-339 and my Gibson Faded SG both have necks that seem to make the neck on my '59 RI seem a bit slim in comparison. Sometimes I wonder if it's just who's at the lathe that day. ;)

I think if I were more of a shredder, i.e. one who can tear up and down the neck in blistering legato leads, it might be more of an issue for me. Right now when I grab a neck and it feels a bit awkward, I'm usually thinking "it's me - get over it". Too bad I can't be so accepting of the rest of things in life :lol:

• Members

Thanks. Sounds like I'm looking for a 58.

I have a couple vintage Tokai's...a '79 with a '58 neck, and an '85 with a '59 profile neck.

They are both pretty comfortable to me. Tho I prefer the '59 a little more maybe.

But I def don't like the thin 60's neck, it just doesn't feel right on an LP.

• Members

Thanks. Sounds like I'm looking for a 58.

You'll have to try a few. They used to have rather set neck sizes for the Historics...R4's and R8's were huge...now Historics necks are all over the place but have been trending thinner, the "baseball bat" necks are starting to fall out of fashion.

• Members

+1 to the R8 comment. I tried one once and it was like playing a baseball bat that'd been sawed in half.

Something to keep in mind with Gibson necks it that they're all supposed to be different. Gibson says they hand-finish their necks so no two are truly alike. I've played a few 50's necks that were absolutely huge, but they've always been few and far between in my experience.

Archived