Any other "Desk Drummers" here??

braif

• Members

I work in construction.......... and hoods of the pickup trucks make for an awesome "ratta-tat-tat...altho sometimes my drumming on the hood drives my coworkers nuts....but they "understand" about my 'affliction"to drumming:D

• Members
Originally posted by agogobill

My first "kit":

First performance review from Sister Kathleen Michael: "WHO'S MAKING THOSE BONGO SOUNDS?!!"
:mad:

("macho" is the smaller bongo, "quinto" is the smaller conga, "conga" is the mid-sized, "tumba" is the larger conga)

Awesome!!! It's a vintage compact kit!! :D

• Members

LOL Braif... as soon as I read this thread title, I was giggling. I tap on everything all the time and people get mad at me for it, but the funniest was this time when I was working next to this woman who was pregnant. She was moody when she wasn't pregnant, but after she got pregnant she turned into like evil-smoke-coming-out-of-ears-glowing-red-eyes-would-eat-your-heart-while-spitting-in-your-mom's-face pregnant. Anyway, I was fixing a computer a few cubicles over from here and apparently I was tap-tap-tapping away on the desk. I didn't even realize her RPM's were shooting into the red zone until she screams at the top of her lungs (no exaggeration).

WILL YOU STOP THAT TAPPING, GOD DAMMNIT!

Anyway, I felt bad, but every time I think about that I giggle.

• Members

It's funny I should see this topic as I'm drumming on my desk... All the stuff rattling in my desk drawer makes a nice snare. :D Empty aluminium Snapple bottles make a nice ride (the top half of the bottle serving as the bell) but they get a little loud.

• Members

lol I always practice paradiddles on my legs, and then with my legs practice 16th notes, drives my mum around the bend :) drives everyone round the bend lol some people think i take speed cos i cant stay still....

• Members

Originally posted by Matchbox Killer

I drum on everything and I constantly annoy my family. I drum on every part of my body, even my unmentionables. That resulted in much pain.

You too?! I dun have any majorly pertruding body parts... >.> But my left boob is my bass and my right is my snare. HAH! even though they sound the same... >.>

• 7 years later...
  • Members

I auditioned with a band by playing a desk so don't knock it....no pun intended....well maybe just a little. I made the band too...I played the closing lick/solo from "Make Me Smile" by Chicago. I got about 5 different sounds out of the desk from knuckle shots to palm thuds and the group said "Man, if you can do that...you're in!" Played with that band for almost a year...

• Members

Ha! One of my favorite drumming experiences was an improv acoustic show in a living room with a band... there were about six girls there watching, and we had two acoustic guitars and I grabbed an empty acoustic guitar case. I played that sucker like a cajon and we jammed out for like 45 minutes.

Hooked up, too. :thu:

• Members

I desk drum to YTube a lot. My snare, 10 tom and a 16 crash are to my immediate left as well. Between those, body slaps, finger diddles and foot rest stomps, it gets pretty funky sometimes. Also aluminum sinks make good conga. Washing machines make monster percussion too - but enough of that, HooTF are all those people in this thread? The second guy's title is [Registered User]. :confused: The rest of 'em seem to have stopped at Junior.

• Members
welcome back from the abyss!!!

Thank you! :) It's been a long time since I ventured here into the drum forum...back in 2002 when I started this thread, I came here once in a while and was always the sole occupant...it got one or two posts a week....I haven't focused much on drumming recently...don't even have a kit set up any more except for my Slingerland Expresso coctail kit in my living room which I occasionally smack as I walk past :(

I've also given up on my dream of being a famous rock and roll deskist :(

• Members
Ha! One of my favorite drumming experiences was an improv acoustic show in a living room with a band... there were about six girls there watching, and we had two acoustic guitars and I grabbed an empty acoustic guitar case. I played that sucker like a cajon and we jammed out for like 45 minutes.

Hooked up, too.
:thu:

As I recall, on Elvis Presley's 1969 comeback TV special, his drummer played the whole gig on a guitar case :thu:

• Members

When I got on it was a mix of stuff a lot of it plain brain damage. Mraia started a group - buncha cut ups lotta laffs then Carm started a group - Senior citizens was it? lol things thinned out, recession, [ the big why is it so hard to steal these days? Era] ... settled down into the mix now. Drums, laffs, issues - more unplugged than powered by comparison.

Archived