Oldschool NGD...

Preacher

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Beautiful - and to expand on one of the previous posters' comments, no need to replace tuners (and ruin the originality). Stewmac sell tuner buttons in cream or ivoroid - for ten bucks you get a set of six. If you pull off the crumbling originals, you just need a soldering iron or a mini gas torch, heat up the stem, then push it into the hole on the replacement button. It will melt slightly on the way in, and the little spline will melt its own groove - you're done, and you have the original tuners with new buttons.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Tuner_parts/Vintage-style_Replacement_Tuner_Knobs.html

What a score!

• Members

Beautiful - and to expand on one of the previous posters' comments, no need to replace tuners (and ruin the originality). Stewmac sell tuner buttons in cream or ivoroid - for ten bucks you get a set of six. If you pull off the crumbling originals, you just need a soldering iron or a mini gas torch, heat up the stem, then push it into the hole on the replacement button. It will melt slightly on the way in, and the little spline will melt its own groove - you're done, and you have the original tuners with new buttons.

What a score!

Cheers for the info, guys. I was obviously going to save the old tuners, but this sounds totally doable. Very interesting, and thanks for taking the time to post such helpful information.

• Members

Congrats, thats a keeper! You should find a FON number inside an F hole to help you date the guitar.

From 1952-1961, the F O N scheme followed the pattern of a letter, the batch number and an instrument ranking number (when the guitar was built in the run of 40). The F O N is the only identification number on Gibson's lower grade models (like the ES-125, ES-140, J-160E, etc.) which do not feature a paper label. Higher grade models (such as the Super 400, L-5, J-200, etc.) feature both a serial number and a F O N. When both numbers are present on a higher grade model, remember that the F O N was assigned at the beginning of the production run, while the serial number was recorded later (before shipping). The serial number would properly indicate the actual date of the guitar. F O N examples run thus:

Y 2230 21

V 4867 8

R 6785 15

Code Letter and Year

Z 1952

Y 1953

W 1955

V 1956

U 1957

T 1958

S 1959

R 1960

Q 1961

After 1961 the use of FONs was discontinued at Gibson. There are still some variances that Gibson uses on some instruments produced today, but for the most part the above can be used for identifying instruments. For the most accurate identification you would need to contact the Gibson Guitar Corporation itself.

• Members

I have one of those, 1963 n=model. My dad actually bought it at an auction because he wanted the hard case it was in for me to put another guitar in. Had a snapped neck. Bought the case for 9 bucks!!!! Was going to just take the case and the guy said he had to take the guitar that was in it also. He stopped at a music store run by an old German man that his friend knew about on the way home and just asked about what it would take to fix it. guy said about 70 dollars. Dad said no, that was too much, probably. The sore owner then offered him somewhere around 750 for it as it stood. Dad asked just what he had and to the Store owner's credit he told him. So, to cut to the chase. My dad paid the 70 bucks and for Christmas I got a nice surprise. It doesn't really get played much. I keep her put up as a keepsake as much as anything and do not want to damage it. It isn't going anywhere.

• Members
I have one of those, 1963 n=model. My dad actually bought it at an auction because he wanted the hard case it was in for me to put another guitar in. Had a snapped neck. Bought the case for 9 bucks!!!! Was going to just take the case and the guy said he had to take the guitar that was in it also. He stopped at a music store run by an old German man that his friend knew about on the way home and just asked about what it would take to fix it. guy said about 70 dollars. Dad said no, that was too much, probably. The sore owner then offered him somewhere around 750 for it as it stood. Dad asked just what he had and to the Store owner's credit he told him. So, to cut to the chase. My dad paid the 70 bucks and for Christmas I got a nice surprise. It doesn't really get played much. I keep her put up as a keepsake as much as anything and do not want to damage it. It isn't going anywhere.

I think I understand a little of what makes that guitar so special to you. That is a fantastic story, thanks for taking the time to share it. :thu:

• Members

All I can say is a heart-felt, 'WOW!'

Between the family connection and how awesome of a guitar it is, that would immediately go to the top of my, 'unless the kids are starving, it ain't ever going anywhere' list.

Super happy new guitar day. Probably my favorite NGD this year.

Archived