When did you start playing drums?

Wrawl

• Members

1974, when I got my first snare drum. A hi-hat followed after about four months. I have been determined and relentlessly addicted ever since. So many hours of enjoyment later, I consider it one of my finer accomplishments in my life. Keeper of the time, keeper of the faith, keeper of the rhyme, keep it in the safe....
Peace Love Electric RAD :cool:
The Radman.

• Members

Been drumming forever,since the age of 8,took 1 lesson,now I'm 51 and still bangin away.Ringo & the Beatles on Ed Sullivan really made me practice.I guess all told I'm drumming 42 years now,I can tell you this, you never stop learning new things on that set.Learn every style & never think that 1 type of music does it all.All music is related & all music has value,the more timings & more styles you learn makes it easier to just sit down & wail with anyone,ANYTIME.And by all means try playing with other drummers,this give you great timing & a sense of dynamics with is incredibly important when playing the drumzz.Also learn how to tune a kit,this might be the single most important thing you do,because a poorly tuned kit will drive a real musician away from the instrument.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I started playing when I was 17. I'm now 25, in a signed band and about to head out on a national tour.

It's pretty strange because before I started playing (I was a senior in high school) I never really thought that was something I would want to do, and now I'm basically doing it as a full time job and loving it.

• Members

Been looking and wanting to for a LONG time, but was never allowed when I was a kid (damn parents), didn't have any sort of band or music program at my school, and the wife thought I was to old to start once I got married.

So, now that she's gone, woo hoo, I started looking seriously about 3 months ago. Bought a bunch of cymbals and hardware already, and order my drums on Sat. So, I guess techincally I haven't started yet, but I'll be starting soon.

Oh, 28 now, btw.

:D

Mike

• Members

I always wanted to be a bass player.. then one day, i heard "Hot for Teacher". I was sold. Since then, i've been a drummer. 10 years, (5 of which as a College music student) and on the same drum set. I still love it. Needs new cymbals, but i'm taking my Tama Rockstar to the grave with me. :)

• Members

Started when I was 7. My Dad was a drummer way, WAY back (sorry Pops! lol). He had an old Slingerland 26" bass drum with the clamp on spurs and a snare. I used to strap plastic 5 Gallon buckets to the bass and beat the living snot out of them. I still have the ol' 'lands. I just wish my mind was as open back then as it is now...instead of just concentrating on being the next Peart.
To all the guys just starting out, do yourself a favor...LISTEN TO EVERYTHING!!! It is great to have an "idol" but strive for diversity. Who knows what can happen...you could become a famous big band drummer...or wear a scuba suit and gas mask while hitting the cans as hard as you can. All the while providing the thunder for a singer that shoots blood out of his eyes.;)

• Members
Originally posted by Mattick

I got a 5 piece TKO Percussion drumset for my 12th birthday (December), and played for like a month and gave it up through frustration. I took about 2 months lessons like a year later, and then didn't play them until last fall. My friends were starting a metal band and needed a drummer so i picked it up again. I'm 15 now, and so over the 3 1/2 years or so i've been playing collectively for 15/16 months. I've started lessons again to expand my abilities into different styles (jazz, salsa, etc.) and discipline myself more. I still have the bottom-line TKO set with replacements: EVANS batter heads (not using resonants right now for $ reasons), Paiste 802 14" Hats, Sabian HH 20" Rock Ride, 10" Sabian AA Splash, Pearl Grabber Arm, and a bottom-line Pacific double pedal. I completely warped all the TKO cymbals that came with my set, I'm using the old hats (clamped together) as a trash set. I'm saving up for a new kit, I was thinking of a Yahama HipGig Rick Marotta set or a Gretcsh Renown/Catalina Elite, does anyone have experience with those? thanks

:confused: What kind of music do you want to play? The hip gig kits are small, like a cocktail kit, best suited for jazz. They're good sounding drums, and pack up nice. I've played one before(Manu Katche) I also own a 6 piece Yamaha Birch Recording Custom.

"Don't ya know ya got to grooooove me baby!"
-Jake Blues

• Members

1983. End of 8th grade. I had asked every band teacher in JH if I could join,(they got new ones every year) they all said no. Finally, one said yes. I showed up, bought a pair of sticks from her, she showed me how to do a roll and I was hooked...:rolleyes:

-it's called a metronome, stupid...

• Members

Vive la Tama!

Originally posted by psycht

I always wanted to be a bass player.. then one day, i heard "Hot for Teacher". I was sold. Since then, i've been a drummer. 10 years, (5 of which as a College music student) and on the same drum set. I still love it. Needs new cymbals, but i'm taking my Tama Rockstar to the grave with me.
:)

:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Originally posted by manboobs

Started when I was 7. My Dad was a drummer way, WAY back (sorry Pops! lol). He had an old Slingerland 26" bass drum with the clamp on spurs and a snare. I used to strap plastic 5 Gallon buckets to the bass and beat the living snot out of them. I still have the ol' 'lands. I just wish my mind was as open back then as it is now...instead of just concentrating on being the next Peart.

To all the guys just starting out, do yourself a favor...LISTEN TO EVERYTHING!!! It is great to have an "idol" but strive for diversity. Who knows what can happen...you could become a famous big band drummer...or wear a scuba suit and gas mask while hitting the cans as hard as you can. All the while providing the thunder for a singer that shoots blood out of his eyes.
;)

I remember and I agree.

Archived