Anyone ever play a Shine guitar??

washuffitze3

• Members

Ya im thinkin bout pullin the trigger on a tobacco burst 335 copy -- http://www.amazon.com/Shine-No1002-Limited-Edition-brown/dp/B007SC9V6C/ref=sr_1_8?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1348609734&sr=1-8&keywords=shine+guitar

Looks beautiful. Im figuring i will swap out the pups and toss in some nice duncans or pafs. But its all dependent on the rest of the guitar. Definitely worth trying for $325 shipped and a 30 day return policy.

• Members

Some guys over at
. Also, Douglas, Stadium, and New York Pro guitars are rebranded Shine guitars which itself is the house name for Saien guitars. You should be able to get a lot of feedback among the different brands via Google.

Turns out i am looking at the same guitar..but in tobacco burst. This review might have sealed the deal for me..i will contemplate it over dinner.

• Members

yup, as Will said the Shines are rebranded Saein guitars. YOu can very easily get Douglas guitars from rondomusic which are the same thing if they carry the model you are looking for.

on amazon i've had that shine tele before with the humbucker bridge and the mini hum neck. Rondo carries it from time to time and I believe it is about 160ish from them. It was a great guitar.

• Members

Never heard of them, but after a quick search, I wouldn't mind dropping 300 bucks on this one

61J2UnOwpvL._AA1500_.jpg

I bought the closest douglas model that I have seen:

IMGP3054.jpg

Pluses: no holes in top other than F holes, less cost

Minuses: less nice pickguard, and if you like the shine inlay you lose that

It's my best jazz box for sure, and the unplugged & volume is awesome!

• Members

Saein are an OEM company that make guitars for Epiphone and Ibanez (amongst others), so a lot of people have played one without necessarily knowing it.

yes they are an OEM, but few people know their brand exists..so im gonna call it a great secret. quality guitars at $325...nothing better.

• Moderators

yes they are an OEM, but few people know their brand exists..so im gonna call it a great secret. quality guitars at $325...nothing better.

Saein is no great secret to anybody who knows their Epi or Ibanez histories.

Look at the back of any Epi and see a serial beginning with an "I" and you have a Saein guitar in your hands. Gibson/Epiphone completely tooled out their factory at some point possibly in the late 90s, to pilot highre quality manufacture in it's non US facilities and as such from about 2000 onwars any top models were almost always made at Saein, and the majority of the 56RIs are Saien guitars.

Bout 2004/5 Saein started selling guitar in Europe using the Shine name and made at the original top Korean factory and they made some great guitars, however they in turn opened up a Chinese facility to make their budget range, and I'm guessing that the Douglas branded Shine looking guitars come from this and at least one other Chinese facility that Saein use.

Saein at one point had an active and constantly updated website for OEM guitars and they made some great semis, although not as brilliant as Peerless, but there are still some 2006-2008 MIK Shines to be had at a bargain price in Europe.

With a pickup swap and some new pots and rewire they made great guitars as the woodwork, finish and frets were all good.

The current models are how do you say it? A crap shoot?

Archived